• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 9 - Connect to Word

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2011 Jan 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to generate Printed Documentation.  When I do so, .docx is not listed in the "Generate Word DOC" drop list.  When I do select .Doc, I get this message "The version of Microsoft® Word you are using has some known limitations with documents that contain a large number of list items (~1500). To avoid this problem, please download the latest Office 2000 service release (SR-2 or later). For more details, please see the online Help.".

I'm using Word 2010 (64-bit) on a Windows 7 (64-bit).

How can I fix this?

Thanks!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha...I'm not sure it does.  I'm sorry - I'm sure you probably assume I know way more than I do about this software.  🙂  Why would browsers be a part of the solution?  I was hoping to export our documentation in PDF or Word format, so we can store them as individual files on our shared drives.  Is that not an option?  Deploying online is not the ideal solution for us.  

I don't know what the "Classic" version is...I don't know much at all about what newer versions of RoboHelp brought to the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I must have got the online idea in my head from an earlier post in this thread along with you referring to upgrading.

You have RoboHelp 9. That requires Office 2010 and either Windows 7 or XP as the operating system. See this page on Adobe's site. Without those it is unlikely you will be able to generate a PDF.

To answer your specific points:

1. Yes new versions have solved the problem but you would have to upgrade and I think we have covered that area.
  2. Why is Word involved? Because the method of creating the PDF was to generate to Word first behind the scenes and then create the PDF. You don't see that but that is what happens.
  3. On that basis, I would say you are out of luck in terms of creating a PDF directly.

What you might be able to do is generate a CHM file and then use a Convert CHM to PDF tool. I found this one using Google. https://www.zamzar.com/convert/chm-to-pdf/

I can't speak for how well it works, security or anything else, but right now it looks like any port in a storm.

Does that clarify things better?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks.  I am trying to get html output now.  The files we currently have are in htm.  I found instructions to do this, but all I ended up with was my Table of Contents with no documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you are generating a CHM, is the CHM on your local drive.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CHM files are on our server, so I think that's a no.  Does this make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHMs will not work on a server. See the Authoring menu on my site.

The suggestion to create a CHM was so you could create a PDF from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.  I didn't expect this to be quite so involved!  I really appreciate your help.  Got the CHM files and am converting now...fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be interested to learn how well the conversion goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like it worked!  The formatting might not be 100% perfect, but it's pretty good!  This will work! Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A late thought if you want that PDF in Word format. There are many PDF to Word converters and some work better than others.

All converters convert the content using inline styling. The document will look fine but what you see as Heading 1 is in fact Normal with inline styling applied.

Whether or not that is a problem depends on your scenario.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp