• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2019 how to designate a different default window in the output presets html help (layout)

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm maintaining long time existing chm files. They migrated through several earlier version of robohelp and finally in RH2019. The local experience in RH is not available, so I have to rely on this fantastic forum!

I'm confronted with a behaviour that is maybe normal but in my case not wanted.

I'm working with a main microsoft html help, consisting of seperately compiled html help files. So every chapter in my main project is a separate project in RH. I don't know why it is like this, but that's it.

in the subprojects there is an output property 'default window'. This window should be in fact the window of the separate main project. But it does not appear in the dialog as name, and I cannot populate/change the available names. How can I designate a window from another project in my output properties or how can I determine what the default window should be.

best regards

Olivier

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one step closer to solution! the default window property is populated with the names of window settings 'sets'. in this set you can define a lot of parameters. In which field can one designate an external chm window and what is the syntax?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The local experience in RH is not available, so I have to rely on this fantastic forum!

What do you mean by "the local experience"?

In which field can one designate an external chm window and what is the syntax?

External windows are not an option. The only thing I can suggest is if you right click a window, there is an option to go to it in File Explorer. Copy the one you want to the target project. You may need to close the target and reopen it before it appears.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter, local experience are my predecessors here in my company, using RH. They left the company or are long time ill. Anyhow they used the previous versions of RH

with external window I mean a chm window generated with RH in another project. I described, my main project has a local page, eg Welcome_to_our_solution.htm. an index and a lot of chm assets, compiled in separate projects. the toc consists of books and chapters. Every book is a chm file, containing chapters.

the behaviour I have is when clicking on a chapter in the toc, it opens a daughter window instead of remaining in the 'calling' window.

extra topic:

My old default window name is Rimses 6.6 help in RH classic

Mayby I'm stumbling on a bug here, because when migrated the name of the window is now rimses 6 (so truncated). But all parms from the window 'except the name' are there. I opened the window file with an editor. Then xml tag contains the old full name. so in the editor I see Rimses 6 as name, in the xml is mentionned Rimses 6.6 help as name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the behaviour I have is when clicking on a chapter in the toc, it opens a daughter window instead of remaining in the 'calling' window.

With merged CHMs you create links to other projects in a specific way. It's covered on my site. Maybe your links are not done that way. If you generated both merged webhelp and merged CHMs you had to create two links and tag them out of builds.

Not sure if that is it as it is years since I have worked with CHMs.

My old default window name is Rimses 6.6 help in RH classic

Maybe the upgrade did lose something. I would have thought correcting it in 2019 New UI would work.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter, I've visited your site, went to the page about merged projects. was made for RH classic I think. anyhow downloaded the demofile and followed the instructions. I arrive in a parent result showing the toc. but when one click on a subchapter, nothing is shown. I'm not sure what is wrong. I did compile the subprojects and pointed in de toc of the main project to those chm's. and they are also present in de folder chm in the assets. in the subprojects I can view their content.

I also made a windows settings file in the main project, with the default chm_only_topic.htm as entry in destinations. and pointed to that in layout in the chm output settings

I would like to see it function with your test files before moving on to the real project...it is quite alot of work 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds like you didn't look at the 2019 page. The demo there is for 2019 New UI. 

I'll look at this again tomorrow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp