• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2019(New): Condition expressions in printed output don’t filter content correctly

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I’ve created two condition tags; one for VoIP audience and another one for Wireless audience

I’ve applied the tags on both content level and topic level.

For PDF output I’ve created condition expressions:

• VoIP – Include VoIP;
  • Wireless – Include Wireless.

When I’m trying to generate Printed output with the Wireless condition expression selected, the content in the topics is not filtered with the Wireless tag. Instead, I see the content with both tags in the topic, the way it is in the project.

My setup is pretty straightforward yet it doesn’t work in an expected way: to show only content and topic with a single tag applied.

Is there an issue with condition expressions? Any ideas on how to define them correctly are welcome.

I’m using the trial version, Update 11 and this is the showstopper for me to update.

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trial part makes no difference & you're updated to the latest release, so maybe it's something else. Try generating some other output form as an experiment - if it doesn't work as expected too, then have a look at Peter's site (grainge.org) about conditioning in RH2019 New UI - maybe something has changed. If you seem to be doing the right way, then log a bug using the Tracker URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this something that was working before using 2019 New UI or is it a new project?

Things to keep in mind.

1. If a topic is not in the TOC in 2019, it doesn't get into the preset, any preset. If you don't want a user to see it in the TOC, the Hide in Output should be applied. That way the topic gets into the output unless it is also tagged out.
  2. You need to tag topics rather than the TOC. I've seen people thinking tagging something out of a TOC stops the topic getting into the output. It doesn't. It simply means it doesn't show there.
  3. Exclude tags work best. By default, everything in the TOC is included unless the topic is tagged and the expression excludes it.

Instead of tagging something Wireless and saying Include, on all the other topics (those without Wireless applied) apply a tag NOT Wireless. Then your expression will need to be Exclude NOT Wireless when you generate your Wireless PDF. Only the remaining topics will be generated and they are the ones currently tagged Wireless that you want included. May sound back to front but it will work.

SIMPLER SOLUTION

Forget tagging. Create two TOC with just the topics you want in the output. Use Hide as required.

That way the document will only have those topics in. No tagging.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter, 

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try them to see how it works.

The project I'm working on is new. The thing is that there are common topics, relevant for both outputs. And I've tagged them with two tags. I'll try playing with two TOCs though.

Also, I apply the tags on the content in the topic and want it filtered - it doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your scenario I would use two TOCS, much simpler.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have sent you a private message. Please provide the information if you want to setup a call to discuss the issue you are facing with conditional expression.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once worked with RH9 in an environment that had many similar products, so many different conditions. It took me quite some time to get the conditions right, also because the way they worked wasn't always clear. At the time I made this overview to explain how more complicated tags and expressions worked. 

In the examples, I use these conditions:

A, B, C, D: Products.
Text that only applies to a specific product gets tagged with this. Text that applies to two of the four products, gets two separate tags. 

Online, Print: Text meant for online only, or print only.

Always_Exclude: Text meant as comments for the authors or reviewers (such as "check if this is true"). This text should never be included in the output.

If you use the conditions as described in the examples, the output should be correct. Can someone maybe confirm that it still works like this in more recent versions of RH, especially 2019 new UI?RH9_conditions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone finding this thread in the future, sorry but neither the poster nor Ajit from Adobe who offered to help offline came back to enlighten us with the solution.

Thanks Erwin for your detailed contribution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp