• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2020 output to PDF issue with line numbers

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having an odd issue. I have converted a classic RH2019 (14.0.5.001) project to RH2020 (2020.8.34), and Mostly it looks okay, and we are hammering out style differences and such. But the big issue I am dealing with now is number list resets.

Our number list style is Procedure. This is the HTML generated on a list reset:

p class="Procedure" style="counter-set: p\\.procedure1 0;"

The problem is that while the numbers are correct in RoboHelp and HTML output, when we output to PDF, the number lists never reset, making the entire document one long number list. Example:
In RoboHelp and HTML:

First topic

1. Something

2. Something else
Second topic

1. Something completely different

2. Ni!

When we publish to PDF:

First topic:

1. Something

2. Something else

Second Topic
3. Something Completely Different
4. Ni!

It was suggested to tag @RoboWizard  that you may be able to help.

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Rick's doing much in the RH world these days. Was this working for you back in RH2019 Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it worked fine in RH2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, ok, that would suggest that something in the PDF generation has changed and isn't liking your syntax that you're using. Have you tried an experiment with the RH auto-numbering in a fresh RH topic and seeing how it's being rendered in PDF? Does your problematic lists work if you go the Word -> PDF route?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine if we go to Word before PDF; one of the reasons we are going to 2020 is to cut out the Word in between we used in 2019.

I have looked at the code, which uses a <OL> and </OL> around its numbered lists. Unfortunately, I do not think I can search and replace every instance of this style in my database and put in the ordered list codes. I figure since it works in Word and HTML, it should work in PDF, but that is incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 New UI or Classic?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the code.  Sorry, cannot post as text.

Eric239099406ctp_0-1665598419344.png

This is how it looks in RoboHelp:

Eric239099406ctp_1-1665598793456.png

This is how it looks in PDF: (It is attached to the end of a document I am working with so the numbers are very far off.  But that is the problem.

Eric239099406ctp_2-1665598924592.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see what .css is being used in PDF creation - I wonder if it doesn't know how to handle that counter-set command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you might be using an Autonumber style, and continuous numbering in a PDF is intended, if this is the case (e.g. for legal numbering). Have a look at this topic on Peter's excellent site. If my assumption is wrong, post back with more information on how your number is set up and applied to paragraphs.

https://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/rh2020/authoring/lists.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp