• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

rh2020 - RH frameless output slowness is it due to importing word files?

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a frameless project and output. The source files are imported from word document. Does importing word files add anything to the topics that slows down the output?

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it something to do with the Skin? Any pointers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how you imported the documents, there could be a lot of inline and rubbish code in the topics which would blow out the individual topic sizes. I suppose it could cause slowness, just because the files sizes are much larger. Replacing the incline code with clean css, and removing any unnecessary MS references might help, if you have very large projects - I wouldn't expect a huge impact in small projects.

I suppose there could also be some MS related code that interacts poorly with the RH output javascript etc. But you'd have to have a look at the code in your project to try to figure that out. My testing suggests that RH2020 does a much better job of importing clean code, but so much depends on the individual document as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here's another observation I looked at the source and output closely.

In fact, when I launch the help locally, the tiles/categories configured in the ToC showed up as expected so did the tile icons and titles. 

When I click and go 1 level inside to view the content, the content in fact loads first and then the rest of the frame - that is the header and the left navigation/ToC. The sequence of loading is:

1.  Content loads fastest and this is the same content imported from MS Word.
  2.  Then the header and sub-header, the Exand All, Favorites etc.
  3. Last the Toc in the left navigation pane. This loads the slowest.

Wonder what is the reason. So when the user navigates through the topics it is a slow performance.

I tried this on a local machine. I will disabling bread crumbs that won't make a difference though but something is slowing down the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to horribly munged code as @Amebr has covered which depends on how you clean up Word documents before import and the steps you follow when importing, the only thing RoboHelp also does it create a second CSS file. I can't see that would affect loading to a noticeable degree.

Also see if there is a difference between using the help locally and on a server. Some changes were made to server loading to improve times but they cannot be made for locally installed help.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You definitely need to test with the help on a web server. I've found local performance is sometimes slow, but server performance is generally fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp