• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 11 freezing in HTML editor

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but RoboHelp 11 occasionally freezes when I am in HTML editor mode. The only solution I have found is to fire up Windows Task Manager and kill RoboHelp, thus losing any unsaved changes.

Any ideas?

Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using your mouse's scroll wheel? I've found that sometimes Adobe products react badly to their use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

No, I am not using the scroll wheel, just click-dragging the mouse to highlight text.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you click File > Rename Project and capture the dialog that appears?

Don't actually rename anything, cancel the dialog. But I'd like to see a screen capture of it.

Post it back here using the web interface where you click the icon shown below:

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing the same thing as simonbetc, so I'm jumping in here and sharing my 'Rename Project' dialog.

...not sure what difference this dialog makes - my RH freezes every day, when I'm in the HTML editor, regardless of which project I'm working on. It's been like this for years, including pre-11. I just live with it. ...and when I say "every day", that's no exaggeration.

Not sure if simonblotofnumbers is experiencing this as well, but the symptoms include;

• RH can freeze entirely, or
  • You can click around the RH menus, and you get visual feedback to suggest that the buttons/menus are working okay, but nothing you click on appears to activate i.e. you can click to your heart's content, but the screen remains frozen on the open HTML editor.
  • When you go into Windows Task Manager to force the closure of RH, the Task Manager thinks that RH is working just fine. In other words, you might expect it to say "Not Responding", but it doesn't.
  • This issue appears to happen when I'm selecting text within the HTML editor. It doesn't happen at random - I have to be actively playing with content in the HTML Editor.

Untitled-1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

WRT: ...not sure what difference this dialog makes...

The dialog is simply an easy way to know exactly where the project is located. If a project is located on a network drive, there are quite often latency issues that cause it to behave slowly. Wanna watch RoboHelp literally freeze often and crawl while you are working on it? Try putting a project on a USB stick and working with it that way!

So the end result is that it's just an easy way to identify that particular known trouble spot.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

symmetricalMan​ I wonder if the underscore at the start of Master  in your path could be causing issues for you? It shouldn't, but you never know...

Or maybe it's some interaction between SVN and your antivirus? I know years ago we had to get a special setup on our antivirus. I can't remember the exact details, but I think we got it to only scan on check out? (or maybe only on checkin? something along those lines, anyway. you might be able to find a post on it, if your google-fu is good enough )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, Amebr, but the underscore isn't it.

*I just put the underscore in that directory name so that it'll appear at the top of my list.

I've got a bunch of other helps, in other directories, and they all freeze from time-to-time.

It may be the antivirus. I'll run it by IT Support here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I'm afraid I can't post the dialog. The path to the RoboHelp project contains a commercially-sensitive product name.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon - is the project on your C:\ drive in some (relatively) short file path? Or someplace else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

It's on my C:\ drive.

The (redacted) path name is:

C:\Projects\xxxxxxxx\User_Documentation\Help\Source\Projects\yyy

(Where 'xxxxxxxx' is the product name and 'yyy' is the RoboHelp Project folder).

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh okay. I was somewhat expecting to see that the drive letter was something other than C:... which would indicate a possible network drive being used. Looks like we can rule that out.

I'm always amused at how "careful" authors can be with product names and such. I'm guessing the only way folks actually become aware of a product like this is via some "secret handshake" along with signing a very restrictive NDA before being given the opportunity to purchase the product. I've never heard of an instance where someone was able to use a product name to somehow cause misfortune if it became known. But that's just me. As you may have surmised, I tend to throw caution to the wind.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I often switch between the Design and HTML views, and that seems to bring about the crash behavior.

I think the fault lies somewhere in a piece of software the devs use to build the ribbon menu interface. The error messages I receive point to ToolkitPro1640vc100U.dll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp