• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 11 - When the Developer Adds the .chm File the New Map IDs Don't Pull Up Any Topic

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that I should upgrade. I actually have access to RoboHelp 2020, but my help files are for older desktop products. I am using the WinHelp format.I was running into issues trying to generate a new Help ID because I was showing IDs were available, and my developer was showing the ID was in use. I could see that some of the IDs that appeared to be available when I autogenerated a new Help ID were not once I checked the duplicate map ID and used map ID reports. I have not had a problem adding new help IDs to the project in the past. The developer said that when he connects the file to the application, he receives a "Failed to Launch" help message. Originally it was pulling up the wrong help topic. Now it won't pull up anything. I vaguely there's a way to regenerate a help file. I was wondering if that might fix my issue. If so, can someone please tell me how to do that? I will look into upgrading to RoboHelp 2020 after this release. However, I must admit that I am terrified that the new help won't work with the older programs.

I have been trying to fix this issue for several days now, and I'm stumped. I know there was an issue with the help file getting corrupted a few years ago. I believe we deleted one of the files, and it regenerated, but truthfully, I am not sure which one. The RoboHelp master is no longer with our company. Thanks so much for your insight.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

So it's working now? I suspect that the dev had a cached version of the CHM kicking around.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the CHM launch outside of the application? Does it make any difference where it's launched from (i.e. local workstation or a server)? IIRC there used to be a CSH tester in RH10 or 11 that allowed you to simulate calls to MapIDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thanks for such a speedy response. Yes, the .chm will launch outside of the application. I can even see the help topics in the file. The problem is it seems these new help IDs are not communicating with the application. The developer said it's like they are outside of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you confirmed in RH that the new MapID corresponds to a topic? If the application is using an ID that isn't mapped to a topic, you're not going to get any response from the CHM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to double check again, but yes. I checked the Edit Map IDs dialog, and both topics are assigned. Now I have had to issue new numbers so I have unassigned, deleted, and reassigned new numbers. I thought that maybe it was a problem with the Map ID number. That's why I was wondering if I regnerated the help file might that clear up any lingering problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The developer said that the help topics are in the help file, but when you click on it to bring up the context sensitive help, the application does not see the help topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You added new MapIDs and topics and didn't regenerate the CHM? That would be your problem then - you need to create a new CHM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did compile the help file, and I submitted the updated .chm. For whatever reason, the application can't read the two new help IDs. Is there a way to re-import those topics into the help file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First confirm that the new topics are in the CHM by opening it up and checking (outside of the application). Next check that the topics have their MapIDs assigned correctly inside RH. Screen shots may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry. I was in a meeting. The developer did a new build. Although it is still failing in his environment, the help topics are showing up in the build.  We still don't fully understand what's going on. But, thank you. I'm still going to attach the photos just in case I'm missing something. But, I really appreciate all of your help. 

P.S. The developer deleted the help file, and added it again. After that, it showed up in his development environment. I still don't understand, especially the idea that autogenerating numbers was generating numbers that are already being used in the help file.But, I"m glad it appears to be resolved. We've been working on this since Thursday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's working now? I suspect that the dev had a cached version of the CHM kicking around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you could be right. Wish we would have had that insight four days ago. Thanks so much for your persistence!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp