Exit

RoboHelp 17: some of the topics are not displaying the help content

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 2017.

Currently facing a strange issue. 

When I generate an ouput and open it in the Chrome/IE browser some of the topics which are linked to their respective books (TOC books) are not displaying the content and show the following error message.

"It may have been moved or deleted"

Why have I said this issue strange? 

When this output is shared with other person (The server machine or shared location that I can access) and I open the output from my machine no issues are found. It works perfectly!

Why this issue occurs when I open the output files from my machine?

Please help.

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which output are you generating? Can you copy the complete error message you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am generating Responsive HTML 5 output.

And, the following is the complete message I see on the page (content page).

"It may have been moved or deleted"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attaching the screenshot. When I click the book (which has a linked topic) the content page does not display any text.

Responsive HTML 5 help output: page loading error messageResponsive HTML 5 help output: page loading error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open this page form other shared folder (where I have pasted the same output files) displays the content correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, so it looks like the file doesn't exist on your machine, but does on the server. It could be deliberate, but I'll assume it isn't.

Maybe the topic files were rearranged using Windows Explorer. This would mean your table of contents file didn't get updated and the books and topics are pointing to the wrong place when you generate. However, if the old files were not manually deleted from the server, then the old files will still be in the place the table of contents expects, and thus work when you copy the output to the server. 

If the files were moved using Windows Explorer, I would expect to see topics in the Project Manager that have a red x on them.

To fix this, you can either revert to an old copy before any files were moved (if you haven't made too many other changes), or manually fix the links in the toc (using right-click > Properties).

Check that and let us know what you find.

Another problem can happen if there are multiple author working on the same project (presumably with source control) who move, add or delete topics. Let me know if this is the case and I can go in to further detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked in output folder and the files are present which content is not displayed in the TOC.

Always I create a new folder (on the shared location) before pasting the output files.

Same output files are on my machine and shared location (server). Why the shared folder files are working fine?

I am facing this issue from three months.

There are no mutiple authors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more strange issue I found is that

Generated output files have issue > output files are shared on other machine > files have no issue to display the content > I copied the shared files again on my machine on a different folder > No issue is found. 🙂

Why this is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it only the books that have this problem, or do the topic entries also have the problem?

Try generating one of the sample projects to see if you have the same problem. I don't think any of the books are linked though, so you'll have to link one to a topic to test that aspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is with only a book and its sub-book linked topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's only that one book plus it's sub topics, then that suggests the entries are not linked correctly somehow. But without seeing specific details I couldn't say how.

Can you post a screenshot of the Project Manager tab, showing the folder those topics are in, plus the TOC in Robohelp opened to show that toc boo and sub topics, and the link from the broken toc book (copy from the Link to: field in the TOC properties dialog box).

If you can't share the details then I think you'll need to contact Adobe for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the issue is with the folder path structure.

I have linked those topic with the books correctly.

The only issue is that from the SSL folder when I open the index file to see the output. the only two books (main and sub-book) which have linked topics are not displaying the content.

But, when I copy these output files on my machine on a different folder no issues are found. I mean't those content is displaying correctly.

My issue is why the content of those topics (linked with books) is not displaying when I open it from SSL folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the information I asked for I can 't offer any other help, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's find. I cannot share more details abou the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp