• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 (12.0.2.384): Search returns topics not been included in the TOC

Participant ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ENVIRONMENT: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, 8.00 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, Office 2010, Adobe Acrobat X Pro, Acrobat Reader DC 2015.017.20050

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

• A single RoboHelp HTML project with three outputs. One of the outputs is a "validation reference" that has its own Table of Contents.
  • The Validation Reference Table of Contents contains a subset of the topics in the main Help system. For example, the main Help system TOC contains a folder called "Administration"; that folder is not in the Validation Reference TOC.
  • The Validation Reference is posted to a public web site. Therefore, we've applied the "Non_public_info" tag to content in shared topics that we do not want to appear on the public web site.
  • WebHelp Settings are as follows:
    • Validation Reference TOC
    • No map files, no browse sequences
    • Conditional Build expression: NOT_Non_public_info_AND_NOT_StyleGuidelines_AND_NOT_TRP (We keep our Style Guidelines in the project to make it easy to access during development. TRP content is to be excluded because not released.)
    • Exclude Unreferenced Topics from Output is selected.
    • Search Options. Only "Show Total Number of Search Results" and "Show AND Search Option in Output" are selected.
  • After generating the WebHelp, we remove the folders that we do not want (RoboHelp generates empty folders even though the folders are not in the TOC.)

PROBLEM: A search in the Validation Reference Help brings up topics that we think should not be included because the topics themselves are not in the Validation Reference TOC. For example, The topic "Data Quality Analysis" is in the main Help TOC, but not in the Validation Reference TOC. Therefore, we don't expect the topic to show up at all in the Search Results pane. But it does. When the user clicks the topic, the "Resource cannot be found" message appear.

Nothing shows up from the Style_Guidelines topics because the StyleGuidelines conditional build tag is applied to the entire folder and to the "Style Guidelines" book in the main TOC. (Same applies to the TRP folder.)

QUESTION: Why are topics that are not in the TOC and whose folders are not in the project at all showing up in the WebHelp during a search? Do we need to rewrite the conditional build expression or set up conditions differently. We assumed that not having topics in the TOC, not including the unreferenced topics in the output, and removing the empty folders would be the way to go. All help welcome!

Thanks so much.

Carol Levie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

The table of contents does not control what ends up in the output for online outputs. All untagged content, and tagged content that is not excluded by the build expression will be included. The setting  "Exclude unreferenced topics from the output" will further exclude any topics that aren't in the ToC AND aren't linked from any topic that will be included in the output.

In contrast, for print output the table of contents does control what ends up in the output. I think this trips up a lot of peo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a way to "Reply to All", and so hope that by replying to my original post, I'm replying to all of you.

• I did some analysis yesterday. I looked at each topic in the main TOC, noted whether it had a topic-level tag or not, noted whether it was in the Val Ref TOC, checked to see whether it was in the search results and, if so, whether the link was broken. I also then checked to see whether topics that are not in the Val Ref TOC but that appear in the search results contained links to topics in the Val Ref TOC, or to topics with links to topics that are not in the Val Ref TOC but that contain links to topics with links to topics in the Val Ref TOC. Murky and confusing!
  • Based on my initial analysis, I believe that Amebr is mostly correct. The search results do include untagged topics with links to topics in the Val Ref TOC, or with links to topics with links to topics in the Val Ref TOC. However, I don't understand why clicking those links brings up the content, considering that I deleted the output folders containing those topics. RoboHelp must be doing something under the covers to include the conten
  • The untagged topics that generate a resource error when clicked from the search results pane do not appear to be linked with ANY topics in the Val Ref TOC or with any topics that contain links to topics in the Val Ref TOC. Clearly, something in the output is 'remembering' that the Help was generated with untagged topics (there must be a list somewhere) that are no longer there. Hence the error message.
  • One further mystery. There are several topics that are untagged and that are not in the Validation Reference TOC. When I search for those topics or for content those topics, the topics do not appear in the search results pane! I expected to see the topics and to get a resource error.
  • Topics with the Non-public_info tag do not appear in the search results. That works as expected and as described by Amebr.

I haven't tried Peter's approach yet, but thanks for the idea. Since we probably don't want to exclude all the "untagged but linked" content, we may want to simply identify the "untagged and unlinked content" and apply a NotValRef tag to it.

Thanks again for all your helpful comments.

Regards,

Carol Levine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thought about why the deleted topics might display.

If you delete them from your C drive then copy/ftp/publish the output folder to your web server, then those original files/olders will still exist on your web server unless you delete them manually.

It's possible that you also deleted some of the "search" files robohelp generates, so the original "search" files might still be on the server and thus be returning old search results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2016 Sep 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before generating the output, we delete everything from the output folder.

Thanks for the idea though.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The output folder on the web server or the \!SSL!\ folder? Just clarifying because RH will clear the \!SSL!\ one automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff.

We generate to an output folder in our local workspace, not to the SSL folder. We then copy the files from the local workspace to a Development server for subsequent posting to our web server.

I use the SSL folder when testing output because RoboHelp clears it!

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you generate to the local workspace, do you notice a dramatic difference in the time it takes to generate there as opposed to generating to the SSL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any difference in the time it takes to generate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp