Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.


Robohelp 2015: Problem converting numbered paragraphs

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear readers,

For a project I need Robohelp 2015 to convert a Word 2010 text containing numbered section headers (1. Heading1, 1.1. Heading2, etc.). I would like Robohelp to generate separate topics for each of these headers. For un-numbered headers (Word default) this works fine, for the numbered headers I get one single topic with the headers converted to bookmarks. Anyone knows how to make Robohelp generate separate topics for each numbered header?

I use Robohelp 2015 on Windows 10 Pro.

Many thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Documentation

Views

242

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016
Hi Peter,Many thanks for your response. You are right, I had the Pagination checkbox ticked, I forgot to mention that in my original post.The numbered headers are a requirement for the project, unfortunately. After a lot of testing I found what caused the document not split into separate pages on numbered headers. In the Conversion Settings window, section Other Settings, I had "Convert Word list" also checked. This causes the headers interpreted as list items and not as headers, hence they were...

Likes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally online help would not have numbered topics as users are taken to a relevant topic rather than being required to read each one in order. The TOC sets an order but that is not always the start point.

I am not in a position to test this right now but assuming your numbered headings are proper heading styles (as Word defines heading styles) then I would have thought they would come in as required, maybe without the numbering. As your unnumbered pages are importing OK, I assume you have set the style with Pagination ticked. Correct?

I am wondering if the fact that some headings are numbered and others are not is behind the problem. Test two docs in different test projects.

Post back and perhaps then I can set up a test if needed.

There is a page on my site about Printed Documentation. The RoboHelp 11 one is good for RoboHelp 2015.


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Please use the Blue reply button at the top. It helps keep posts in order.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also bear in mind that the concept of numbered headings is not supported in HTML so you would have to manually keep them going and change all topics if you later insert one.


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Please use the Blue reply button at the top. It helps keep posts in order.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your response. You are right, I had the Pagination checkbox ticked, I forgot to mention that in my original post.

The numbered headers are a requirement for the project, unfortunately. After a lot of testing I found what caused the document not split into separate pages on numbered headers. In the Conversion Settings window, section Other Settings, I had "Convert Word list" also checked. This causes the headers interpreted as list items and not as headers, hence they were not converted into separate pages. Once I unchecked it, it worked fine. Currently I can't see why they were converted into bookmarks, but at least my problem appears to be solved.

Thanks again for your help!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thread moved to Printed Documentation.

Please use the Blue reply button at the top. It helps keep posts in order.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation