Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 2015 - unwanted topics are showing in Webhelp Search results

New Here ,
May 26, 2016 May 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People,

I am working in a project that has three separate TOCS. Some topics are only included in one of the TOCs, but are showing up in the Search results for Webhelps for the other two.

The topics ARE excluded from the TOCs used to generate the webhelps in whose Search results they appear.

The topics, and their entire content, are marked using a conditional build tag that is used to exclude them from the webhelps in whose Search results they appear.

I have thoroughly investigated to ensure that these topics  ARE NOT referenced by hyperlinks in any of the topics that do appear in the webhelps in whose Search results they appear.

I have set the Search options to Enable External Content Search = OFF and Exclude Baggage File Types from Search to all be checked.

And still these topics - that have nothing to do with the webhelps I am generating except be in the same Robohelp project - are found by the Search.

Do any of you know what I am doing wrong? Is this a RoboHelp bug?

Thanks in advance,

MAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual cause of this is when someone excludes a topic from the TOC and thinks this excludes it from the output. That only excludes the topic from appearing in the TOC.

To exclude a topic from an output you need to do that in Project Manager.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Peter, and thanks for your interest.

Focusing on one particular topic, I have tagged it in the Project Manager pod so that it and its content are
marked with a particular conditional build tag. I have a TOC that excludes the topic, and I have a build expression that excludes the conditional build tag.

But still the topic is found in the search in the generated webhelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps examine the Topic Properties and look at the General tab and enable Search Exclusion?

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, and thanks for your interest.

Your solution would exclude the topic from searches in the webhelps where I DO want it to show up, wouldn’t it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh yes. My bad. I stand guilty of basing my reply on what you posted in response to Peter. I now have read the full thread and see that you have a project where you generate different recipes with each recipe using a different TOC.

I see that you say you have applied a Conditional Build Tag but it's unclear if you mean that you tagged only the instance in the TOC or if you tagged the actual topic. My guess, (and apparently Peter's as well) is that you tagged only the instance in the TOC.

What Peter suggested is that you tag the topic itself in the Project Manager pod.

I note that you say you have done this. But the issue is, you are still seeing the topic when you output. Right?

Sooo, for starters, you shouldn't be tagging the topic entry in the TOC. Why? Well, if you tag the topic itself, when it gets excluded it will not have a TOC entry in the output as it simply won't (or shouldn't) exist. And if that's the case, it shouldn't be found during a search.

The fact it's still being found seems to suggest that your conditional logic is wrong. Can you share an image of your Conditional Build Expression that is being used?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as you deduce, I have tagged the topic (AND the content, for good measure) in the Project Manager folder.

I initially tagged the topic in the TOC too; but when it kept showing up in the search I created a separate TOC where it isn't tagged because it isn't in there. The conditional logic seems to be by the bye.....

I have now created a new TOC that includes three brand new, empty topics (so no change of a hyperlink to the offending topic).

The TOC does not include the offending topic.

The offending topic that is causing the trouble has the conditional build tag 'Multi-channel' assigned to it.

The output has a build expression that includes everything but 'Multi-channel'.

The generated output still finds the offending topic (and some of the other ones I'm having the same trouble with).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhhh, based on the screen shot, (very helpful, BTW) you seem to have your logic backwards. Instead of excluding Multi_channel, that is the only content actually being INCLUDED. You have all the other tags being excluded and leaving behind only content tagged with Multi_channel. So it is no surprise to me that it still gets found during a search. If you want to remove only Multi_channel, you need to click that bottom button to remove all the tags on the right side and only choose Multi_channel and move it from the left panel to the right.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share the project? See the Contact page on my site. Make sure you

name one of the offending topics.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each output needs its own build expression to achieve what you want in that

output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp