• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 upgrades my RH11 project but generating output won't work and RH doesn't close any more and leaves the CPD file corrupt

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought RH2015 and upgraded my project from RH11 with it. The upgrade process works fine and finishes successfully (as indicated by final message box). However, then when I try to close the project or exit RH2015 it won't do it. The only way to "exit" is to kill the RH process. If I do that and reopen the project again then RH2015 complains that the CPD file is corrupt. I tried deleting the CPD file and reopening the project. It'll open and rebuild the CPD file but still won't close cleanly. So the cycle starts all over again.

Even worse, none of the outputs generates. When I click on Generate.. for any of the SSL nothing happens.

Editing topics and saving them seems to work.

At this point RH2015 is useless to me. Please help!

Regards,

Wolfgang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

From RoboHelp, try clicking File > Rename Project. Capture the dialog and share it here for us to see.

You don't need to actually rename, just cancel the dialog once you have done this.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there is no dialog that shows up. When I click on "Rename Project" RH does nothing but going back to the previous view. The same behavior is observed when I try to select "Close Project" or "Exit" from the same menu.

Is there a log file anywhere that could provide more clues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Close and restart RoboHelp.

When you attempt to perform any action where it seems to hang, before trying anything else, press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press the left arrow key two or three times.

tmp.png

My suspicion is that perhaps a dialog is appearing that is out of the visible area of your monitor and that keystroke will bring a dialog into view.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I only see the main RH window switching between filling the right half of the screen, then the left, then go back to normal view. No additional dialogs show up.

Also, actions don't seem to hang. It more seems that they don't start at all or rather start and silently fail right away. I would assume that a dialog like "Rename Project" is a modal dialog. So, if it were hidden somewhere I wouldn't be able to work with the main window of RH until I closed that dialog. However, that's not the case. I can work with the RH main window right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well. It was admittedly a long shot and grasping at straws.

Have you tried opening one of the sample projects? Perhaps it's related to the upgrade.

If the sample projects behave identically, I'm thinking perhaps you might want to try reinstalling?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that, yes. They open and close just fine. Also, the rename project dialog pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the issue is then with this particular project.

How many topics do you have in it? If there aren't all that many, it may be more efficient to just create a new project structure and import the topics into it to re-create the project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's the rub. The project has 500+ topics and 100+ images.

How would I even go about recreating the project? Can I create a blank project and then select Import for each individual topic? Is it possible to import entire folders and subfolders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is one of the projects one that you can share? See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter for offering to help. Actually I think I was able to fix it.  RH closes the project cleanly now.

The project was in really bad shape as it had gone through many hands and RH version upgrades. It had lots of broken references to images, stylesheets and broken FPJ files. People had moved referenced files in the file system, not using RH. I didn't have to fix all of them. But at some point during this effort RH closed again just fine. However, I cannot tell what precise action did it.

So, if folks experience issues like this with their projects then make sure your FPJ files are in sync with the file system and also your references to topics, stylesheets, and images are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had the same problem on one of our (massive) projects since we got the latest service pack. Can you post more specifics on how you made the repairs that fixed the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the project local?

Please define massive?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the project is local. Version control has recently been managed through Git, and project versions prior to this (perhaps coincidentally) are OK.

Size: about 1200 topics, which equal 2000 pp in print output. That's big compared to our other projects, but perhaps not massive for some people. I should have been more specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We cleaned up most of the broken links and now we can close the document and don't have to delete the CPD file every time we open it. It is interesting that the problem showed up when we got the latest service pack, but it led to some necessary maintenance work so all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused now. The post above this is showing that it is posted by Timothy but the content coulg be a reply from Wolfman as requested by Timothy. So Timothy, is all OK now or has the forum got mixed up?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I (Tim) was following up on my own comment. So Tim commented and "replied" to himself, so to speak. Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, I didn't want to assume that and leave you high and dry.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Confirming my opinion of you as a really great guy! You have been a terrific help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp