• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 .xpj Files Crashing RoboHelp 2017

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently upgraded from RoboHelp 2015 to RoboHelp 2017. Normally, a project created in the older version updates automatically simply by opening the .xpj file in the newer version. However, RoboHelp 2017 hangs in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 when trying to open the .xpj file created in RH2015.

I've tried all the old stand-bys: rebooting the computer, giving the project hours to open in case it's trying to update, attempting to open projects with a smaller number of files, re-installing RoboHelp on the computer, and installing RoboHelp on a different computer. The end result has been the same. After about 3 seconds, the Starter screen freezes and dims slightly, and RoboHelp continues to churn until I kill it in Windows. I've noticed two messages in the status section at the bottom of the screen: either "loading xxx.xpj" or "Loading DB info."

I also tried deleting the .cpd file and opening from the .hhp file. Same outcome.

One other observation: Typically when updating a project to a new version of RoboHelp, a pop-up displays saying that the project was created in an older version and offers the option to update in the new version. No popup displays before the system hangs.

I am able to create a new project in RoboHelp 2017, so the app seems to be working as long as it's not updating older files.

Anybody else encountered this issue and come up with a work-around?

Thanks,

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Indeed, this was a bug, and Adobe fixed it in Release 2017.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can make it go boom on command, then yes, file that bug report ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are interested...

Adobe Bug Tracker Case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not my area of expertise but I wonder if setting things out as shown in @font-face tutorial and user guide by Milton Bayer would help?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. Definitely a useful site; I've been referencing it for a while now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, this was a bug, and Adobe fixed it in Release 2017.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open a 2015 project in a new trial version of Rh 2017 (13.0.0.257) (Windows 10). The project is locally hosted.

I am having the same problems as described in this thread. I have deleted the CPD file, edited default.css to leave only one entry for font-face, uninstalled and rebooted and reinstalled, tried opening using various methods (launch the .xpd file, select File > Open), and it hangs and hangs.

At one point I was able to open the project but none of the topics or TOCs were present. I started to create new folders and import the topics manually, but Rh eventually crashed. I opened the project a second time and the folders/topics were not there. A second attempt to manually import the topics resulted in a crash.

Now I can't open the project at all.

Is this a problem that shows only with the trial license?

Please advise…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, this is a quick reply without having read through the thread. I'll look tomorrow, late here.

The obvious point is that the marked as correct answer was with Update 2 applied. You can, and should, apply updates to the trial version.

The trial version is not crippled in any way.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having looked through this some more, it would appear that Update 2 should solve the problem. It would be helpful to others if you would confirm the outcome.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated the trial version and I was able to open my project Rh2017, with all the folder/file structure intact.

Thanks, Peter! That was exactly the right answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only "crippled" feature of the trial downloads is that they don't include the latest patches "baked in" - they're like flash frozen pies when they first come out of the Adobe oven - just because you took one out of the freezer today, don't expect it to have all the fixes included as if you baked a fresh one today [to mangle my metaphors completely!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL! Loved the analogy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp