• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2017 crashes when generating a Master Project

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone can help me. I was using RoboHelp 9 before and recently got the trial version for RoboHelp 2017. When I opened my project using 2017, it asked if I wanted to import and upgrade my project so I went ahead and did that. My previous project under RoboHelp 9 was in WebHelp layout. However, in 2017, we are trying to generate and publish the same content in Responsive HTML5 layout.

I created a new "layout" for my existing project file and was able to generate and publish the old webhelp to the Indigo theme for responsive HTML5. However, these project file feeds/publishes to a master project file. When I open up the master project file and try to generate/publish it, RoboHelp 2017 freezes and stops working. The popup says "Generating content 'Content'... and freezes. If it helps, the "Output view" says "Processing Full-text search data..." and then that's when the popup appears.

Another popup appears and says "Adobe RoboHelp 2017 has stopped working" and then I have to close the program.

Any ideas as to why this could be happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say Master Project, are you referring to a merged help setup?

If you go back to the WebHelp layouts, do they still generate OK?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I took over the previous tech writer's job, it was named master project but I guess it is a merged help setup. This file titled "master project" lists 3 .chm files that are projects of their own if that makes sense. I guess it brings the three projects together and publishes it to one location?

I can still generate and publish the master project in RoboHelp 9. However, in 2017, it crashes when trying to generate webhelp or html5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that you need to first upgrade & generate each of the child projects first; then turn to upgrading the master and then finally generating it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded the 3 child projects and generated and published them first.

Took the same steps I did when I was working with RoboHelp 9. Assumed I could just do the same thing in 2017.

1. Generate and publish child project
  2. Open "master project" and generate and publish

The only thing I did differently was creating a new output for the child projects and making them into HTML5 layouts instead of the webhelp layouts we used in RoboHelp 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If CHMs were being generated before, the process is very different.

Hence asking what was being generated before.

How familiar are you with merged help?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not familiar at all with merged help.

I think we need both - webhelp and CHM. We have an online help but also a help that is included in our software that can be accessed offline. We generate both? I'm sorry, frankly, I don't even know what CHMs are. I presume it's more than just a file extension that I see attached to a file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were saying webhelp but now you are referring to CHMs. Very different.

Which is it?

Master project should be generated first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for the confusion. Frankly, I was handed down this project and told to "click here" a bunch of times so I have zero understanding of how this all works. The only way I can explain is, I have: project_a.xpj, project_b.xpj, and project_c.xpj.

Under RoboHelp 9, under Single Source Layouts, I would double click WebHelp, save and generate and then publish. I would then double click "Microsoft HTML Help" and save and generate and publish for project a, b, and c.

After that, when I open the master project.xpj - I would double click WebHelp under SSL, save, generate then publish. I would then do the same with Microsoft HTML Help.

When I look under "Project Files" for the master project, it lists:

project_a.chm

project_b.chm

project_c.chm

This is why I mentioned .chm. So my gut instinct tells me the master project brings project a, b, and c together to produce just one output?

Disclaimer: I do not know if this is the right way of managing merged projects. Again, I was just handed this and asked to "figure it out."

PeterGrainge if I start all over, and import the projects again to 2017, I have to generate the master project first...then generate the child projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No apology needed, it's easier for me knowing you have close to zero knowledge.

First thing is that it is unusual to merge both webhelp and CHMs as cross

project links are created in a different way but maybe you don't have any

of those.

It would be a lot easier to help you if you could share these projects with

me. If you can, see the Contact page on my site. Please send all the

projects in the structure they sit on your machine. If for some reason you

cannot zip them that way, then send them any way you can but include a

screenshot showing their relative structure. So either zip Help files or

send them separately and tell me how to emulate the structure you have.

Help Files

Project A

Project B

Project C

I assume whoever set this up is no longer able to advise.

It's late here but I'll try to look tomorrow, if not I will do so over the

weekend.

Your files will not be shared with anyone else and will be deleted once the

problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If for some reason you cannot share the projects, the first step is to get to understand how merged help works. There are a number of pages on my site covering the subject. See Merged Help.

It looks more daunting than it really is and you would do well to download the sample merged help project and play with that. It is deliberately lighter than a live project so that you can get your mind around it.

Of course it will take longer to work out what is wrong.

Also if you can add of the TOC. If it is only showing CHMs, I can't see how you would get merged webhelp.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needing both outputs makes sense.

If you are not familiar with CHMs then I guess this is your first foray into authoring. RoboHelp not a difficult tool as authoring tools go but it does require some training. Merged help adds a layer of complexity.

Your company cannot expect you to learn this tool without some training or support.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help and for being patient with me. I will send you an email and then additionally send you the files through wetransfer. Sounds like that's the best way according to your site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that will be OK.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp