Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2017 project transfer to RoboHelp 2019

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question regarding how to transfer an old project created in RB 2017 into a new RB 2019 tool.

I worked in RB 2017 and now got installed RB 2019 because I have to create a Git connection profile and 2019 version has this possibility.

What interests me is the following: my RB 2019 does not see the old project that I had in RB 2017, or if I specifically open RB 2017 file with RB 2019 then it simply opens the old version)

How should I transfer all existing data?...including CSS and content.

Should I create all styles from scratch and then copy the content one by one into new RB? Do you maybe have some instructions on this case? Or know any other ways?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you wanting to open it in the new 2019 or 2019 Classic.

In the new 2019 you open that and select Upgrade Classic Project, then browse to it.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what classic version is, I have the latest one of 2019. I did try opening old project with RB 2019 classic but it opens the old version. So I guess there's no option of importing 2017 project to 2019 tool. I only imported the old CSS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the new version of RoboHelp the very first page has an option, Upgrade Project. Click that and browse to your old project.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your advice, browsed to my old project and selected it, it said: Project is upgraded successfully. However, it's completely empty, no content in it, a 1 Kb file.

Again, just to be clear, I need to transfer my old project (created in RB 2017) to a new RB 2019. I have a big project and cannot start everything anew, transfer topic by topic, create CSS (it imported with corruptions). That's completely not what I expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the Classic project with me? If you can, see the Contact page

on my site

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. It contains information that cannot be divulged. Can we get around this in any other way? Actually, did you face such issue as I have? What should be the actual result of opening the old project through "upgrade project" option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've read about the "positive outcome" here: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/index.htm#t=rh2019%2Frh2019_upgrading.htm Not my case. Maybe it's solely concerns upgrading the classic version, while I had 2017 one? And that's why it does not upgrade my project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading is for Classic versions, any of them and not just 2017. I am not sure why you are making that connection.

If you double click the XPJ version from any Classic version (in other words anything that has an XPJ file) it will open in 2019 Classic.

What should happen when you open the new 2019 is that when you use the Upgrade option, it should create a copy in the new format and you should see it all in 2019. I don't know why it isn't and that is why I wanted to try the upgrade myself. At the moment it's like you telling your garage the engine is broken but you can't look under the hood/bonnet.

I guess all you can do now is go to Adobe Technical Support and ask them to help. They will need to screenshare and probably ask for your project.

If it helps your line manager, I have supported RoboHelp for 20 years and if divulged any confidential information, Adobe would remove my ACP status.

You say Maybe it's solely concerns upgrading the classic version, while I had 2017 one? Yes that topic is about upgrading from Classic only. Why do you say "while I had one". That sounds like you don't have a 2017 project any more, which can't be what you mean.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do still have a 2017 project, just did not put it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I would love to help you but I can't see any reason that opening 2019 (new UI), clicking Upgrade and browsing to the 2017 XPJ would not work. There has to be something in your project or environment but my hands are tied on that.

You haven't mentioned source control. Is that applicable?

Otherwise please let us know how you get on.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPD:

My team & I thought that the issues might be due to that fact that I have RoboHelp 2017 tool still on my computer and the new 2019 might not be compatible with it. Thus, my colleague (who does not have any RB version installed) installed RB trial 2019 and tried upgrading my 2017 project just like I did, and it went quite well, at least so it seems.

However, some things work differently for us: My tool view differs from her trial one, I tried generating output and couldn't while she almost did it (it was processing the Responsive HTML 5 and got stuck 2 times).

I will send you the screenshots via email so you can see what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having RoboHelp 2017 installed is not the issue. I have that installed as well and upgrades work just fine.

Have you tried uninstalling 2019 on your machine and then reinstalling it? Reboot in between. It will not affect your projects.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I haven't tried reinstalling yet, as I need our support to do this, they are in charge of this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't be sure but it is looking as if that is the likely cause. RoboHelp must be installed with admin rights at the time of installation. Did support install using their log in?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my mean the Adobe account, then no, they did not, I logged into mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I mean their network logon. They need to switch to their logon, install and then open RoboHelp. They can use your Adobe logon when they open RoboHelp.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, as we found out recently, the issue was with the RB version. I had 2019.0.0 while it had to be 2019.0.8 Thus, I've marked this question as answered. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp