• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 2019 Frameless: Importing PDFs as PDFs

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to import PDFs as PDFs (not as RH files) into a frameless project I am trying to create. These PDFs need to be searchable (i.e., if a user searches for a key word or concept, the portal should be able to deliver search results by browsing through all available PDFs on my site). How do I make this happen? I understand importing PDFs is not an option in Robohelp 2019 as yet - that I can only link PDFs. Can a global search run through all the 'linked' PDFs? I attempted to 'bring in' PDFs using the Assets folder (former Baggage folder?). Now how do I set up links so that these PDFs are viewed in the output? How and where do I create these relative links? Please add 'Import PDF' option as a feature request in Robohelp 2019.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, I copied a pdf into a folder in my project using Windows File Explorer. It showed up in that folder in RH 2019 New UI. I dragged the pdf to the table of contents and generated a frameless output. The pdf showed in the table of contents and opened when I clicked on it. Then I searched for a word in the pdf and it showed up in the search.

Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... or right click the folder in RoboHelp where you want the PDF and use Import.

If you want the PDFs to be found only by search, when you add them to the TOC there's a Hide In Output option. That way they don't appear in the TOC but can be found by searching.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I don't have a pdf option under Import in New UI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import > File.

In the dialog that opens the first file types appear to be limited to HTM, HTML and CSS but that's just because the list is long. There is a *.* in the dropdown but you don't need to change from the default.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope you're not alone. I kept changing to *.* and grizzled to Adobe who put me wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see. I overlooked it because they spell out a bunch of types. I figure I'm not alone in that. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't even get as far as noticing the File option in the right-click menu. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This worked for me somewhat.  I have two folders in my TOC - a folder with PDF imports and a folder with Word imports. The folder with PDF imports does not get included when I generate the TOC. Only the Word import folder gets included. The frameless output builds successfully with content from both folders. But when I do a search on the output, it only performs a search on the imported Word documents - not on the PDF docs at all. Why are PDF files being ignored in TOC and in Search? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Random ideas, without being able to see your project:

• You've definitely added the pdfs to the toc, and are not just looking at the files in the Content pane? Unlike Classic, if you want a file to be included when you generate, you MUST include it in the toc. Then there's a checkbox to hide the file in the toc, if you don't want it to display there.
  • You have all your topics and pdfs in a single toc, not in two different tocs?
  • You've selected the correct toc in the output presets?
  • You haven't applied conditions that would exclude the pdfs from the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replies inline:

• You've definitely added the pdfs to the toc, and are not just looking at the files in the Content pane? Yes. Added pdfs to the TOC under a folder. Unlike Classic, if you want a file to be included when you generate, you MUST include it in the toc. Then there's a checkbox to hide the file in the toc, if you don't want it to display there.
  • You have all your topics and pdfs in a single toc, not in two different tocs? Yes. In one toc.
  • You've selected the correct toc in the output presets? Yes. I have only one toc for this project.
  • You haven't applied conditions that would exclude the pdfs from the output? No.

Thank you for troubleshooting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp