• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 2019 - Import Word Document - Do Not Want Topics To Import Alphabetically

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the trial version of RoboHelp 2019 and I'm importing a Word document with topics created for each Heading 2.

After import, the topics are listed in Contents alphabetically. I think this has always been the way. The interface provides arrows to move up/down to order the topics the way you want them in the TOC. Doing this process is mildly entertaining when you have a project or two. But when you have many projects, ordering the topics becomes time consuming.

Is there a way for the topics to be imported in the order they exist in the Word document?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing feedback on the same. We will look into this improvement and add as part of our roadmap.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run into the same issue -- I am importing a Word file that is about 165 pages with about 50+ heading topics. RoboHelp is resorting the heading topics to be in alphabetical order, but I want them to match their original order int he Word file. Is there a fix for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the order of the topics that result from importing a Word file to match their original order in the Word file.

In our current development process SMEs are providing content in Word files, and the order of the topics (Header 1s) in the Word files should be reproduced in the output.

The current design, alphabetizing the resulting imported topics

• makes editing and QC of the file more difficult
  • adds to the effort of using Auto TOC or negates the value of Auto TOC entirely, since the resulting topic sequence will always be wrong
  • adds to the effort of producing browse sequences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option would be to use numbered headers in the Word document, as the imported files are named like the header they origin from. However, with update 8 it was not possible to import a Word document with numbered headers. I don't know if this works with update 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this was taken care of in version 10. I'm using RH2019 version 10. I imported a word doc with numbered headings and the RoboHelp project did create the topics in the same order as the word doc. However, how do I number the headings in the RoboHelp project? After importing, the project removed the numbering from the headings and I see a lot of bookmark symbols in the Heading. Is that because the word document had a TOC with hyperlinks? Even if that was the case, why multiple bookmarks? Please advice!

Bookmarks.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit the multiple bookmarks problem when doing some testing. Go back to you Word document and go to Insert > Bookmarks. Tick Show Hidden Bookmarks. I think you will then see a whole lot more bookmarks than you thought were there.

You can either clean up there or fix the unwanted bookmarks in RoboHelp.

I believe there is another thread about the numbered headings.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just found the RoboHelp 2019 project I set up explaining how numbered topics work. I think that by using the CSS there, you should be able to get numbered headings post import.

See the Contact page on my site and email me. I will send you the project.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp