• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2019 new UI - Glossary tab doesn't appear in CHM file at all

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have glossary items.  I have specified the glossary in the preset.  The chm gets generated and there isn't a glossary tab at all.  What have I missed?

Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Create a new window and make sure the glossary tab is ticked in that. Then select that in the preset.

Out of the box the default window doesn't show a glossary but I just tried the above and it then appeared.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new window and make sure the glossary tab is ticked in that. Then select that in the preset.

Out of the box the default window doesn't show a glossary but I just tried the above and it then appeared.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. That piece is solved. What behavior are the terms you give

a glossary term in the topic (right click - create glossary term) supposed

to demonstrate? I'm not seeing any text difference in the chm file. Is

that another setting I've m

Jim

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:02 AM Peter Grainge <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully Peter won't mind my popping in here.

There simply is no behavior other than to click the term in the top part of the glossary panel and see the text definition appear in the bottom part. The glossary implemented that way is simply text. No links or images or even special formatting such as bold or italics is allowed.

You DO have the option of clicking and dragging glossary terms to the topic and that will create an expanding text link that will allow the user to click and reveal the definition. Or, you can launch the Glossary Hotspot Wizard that will trawl through your topics and do that for you.

Note too, that if you use the Glossary tab, you will need to ensure you ship and register the two HHActiveX.dll files to your end users. The functionality of the Glossary Tab relies on code inside the DLLs. There are two. One for 32 bit systems and one for 64 bit systems.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what Jim is getting here is that if you create a glossary term the way he describes, it doesn't get added to the glossary pane and if you drag as you suggest, it still doesn't work in the CHM.

Looks like a bug. Can you get a glossary term to work?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have it correct Peter.  I don't tend to label things bugs until I know how they're supposed to function, but if you say so, I'll believe.  The entries I made directly to the glossary show just fine.  It was only the ones I added via the topic itself that aren't showing anywhere.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found was that if you add to the glossary by right clicking, it doesn't appear in the glossary. It looks OK in Author mode but in a CHM it is just plain text. I think we are agreed on that.

Then in the same topic I dragged a term that did show in the glossary. In Author mode that too looks OK.

When I generate though, the glossary tab is there but I have just found it is blank, even the good terms are not shown. Also none of the terms show as glossary terms in the CHM. Are you saying the terms that are in your glossary work in the CHM and show in the tab?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be seeing.  The glossary tab exists and shows items.  There is no visible relation between the terms in the glossary and any of the topics.  Terms marked as glossary items in the topic, show nothing different than any other text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK you are doing better than me because I created a new project and the glossary tab is blank.

From Rick's reply "You DO have the option of clicking and dragging glossary terms to the topic and that will create an expanding text link that will allow the user to click and reveal the definition."

So if you drag a term from the glossary to a topic, in Preview it will function as expanding text. It should do the same in your CHM but like me you are just seeing it as text.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work in Classic if you want to set up something there to see what it should do.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it now in classic and I see how the effect is supposed to work. Definitely not what happens in the non-classic version. 

So, this is something that will work in a as yet to be named future release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have reported the issues and I'm sure Adobe will fix it.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad - Didn't realize this was the new beast and thought it was either classic or earlier versions. I'm not sure the glossary is "finished" in the new beast, is it? If not, I wonder how many releases away it will be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I'm being dense.  I'm still in the trial period for RoboHelp and I'm trying to figure out how everything goes together.  In my test project, I created a simple glossary with 3 terms.  Before I asked for help and received Peter's reply, I looked for one of my terms in the my topic and using the feature under right click saw I could create a glossary term directly from the word.  That choice just asks for a definition for the word.  I added a couple more terms that way.  They don't show in the glossary I created and while the topic has them in red and marked as a glossary term.  The chm output file just shows them as normal text and they aren't part of the published glossary. I'm presuming I'm missing something else.  Just not seeing what it might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp