Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

RoboHelp 2020 - can lock and unlock a file, but can't save changes

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I've previously been using RH 2015, integrated to our TFS server.

I'm used to files automatically being checked out when you edit them.
I've converted a RH 2015 project to RH 2020 format, and uploaded it to our TFS (Azure DevOps server) via my Visual Studio 2019 client (because for the life of me I couldn't get it to work from RoboHelp with the instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/using/devops.html)
I have set the Version Control preferences for TFS, and created and added a connection to the project ok. "Get Latest" succeeds without errors.
If I lock/unlock a file in RH2020, I can see it being checked out/released in the Visual Studio 2019 client.
But I can't save edits!
It doesn't matter whether I lock the file or unlock the topic before editing, every time I hit save, I just get "Error. Failed to save file."
Any tips?  I can see the file being checked out on the TFS server when I click "lock" on a file, and then being release when I click "unlock".

The local file my project is in is not a OneDrive synched directory, and the full paths of the local and server directories are shorter than the ones that were working OK with TFS from RH2015.
Any/all advice gratefully received....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thought is your user doesn't have write access to the local folder location.

Next thought is, given you said you uploaded the project manually, perhaps you've checked in something that shouldn't be source controlled, which is thus not writable (because it's not being checked out by RH). To confirm this, manually check out the entire project using TFS, make a change and save. If it works, then I think something needs to be removed from source control. I'm not familiar enough with New UI to suggest what those files or folders might be. Hopefully Peter comes along with an answer, otherwise try contacting support using the email address here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can't help on this one. I studiously always avoided source control for precisely this sort of reason. 🙂

Being serious, I do see its use in some scenarios.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer or Like if helpful. Found your answer elsewhere? Share it here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. We version control the output anyway, so it's not the end of the world if I can't get this going fro the source files, but it would be nice to keep the same approach across everything. We have some much bigger merged projects that are staying on 2015 for the moment (at least until I get confident with RH2020) which have been nicely integrated with TFS for ages.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. Eventually got RH2020 working with AzureDevOps Server...

In the end, the local TFS guru and I started from scratch, and tried to upload my local project to an empty folder on the AzureDevOps Server.

It was a little tricky specifying the server folder (the "Project" folder in the Connection Settings) just right, as I wanted RH2020 to create it in an existing directory structure on the server where I already have other RH2015 projects, but here’s what my problems boiled down to:

- Even though the specific local folder I had my RH2020 project in wasn’t already mapped to any workspaces, the workspace name I specified in the Connection settings was already in use for other local folders on my PC, and it didn’t like that.

Even when I tried using a local folder that was in a structure completely outside of any existing structure (not overlapping the existing local workspace at all), using a workspace name that already existed on my PC was a no-go.
(This was unexpected, as with RH2015, I had multiple RH2015 projects integrated with TFS in local folders that all use the same workspace name.)

- Although I specified a new (empty) server directory ("Project" folder ) for RH to create, the parent directory I wanted it created under was already mapped to a local folder that existed in a different local workspace. So that failed.

When I unmapped all of the folders "upstream" from where I wanted to create my "Project" folder, RH2020 created the folder I specified in the “Project” field ok, and then uploaded the files ok.

Doing this meant I had to rearrange my pre-existing workspace after unmapping the upstream folders, by re-mapping the existing child folders directly to my other workspace (as I could no longer just do a "get latest" on their parent folders.)

If that all sounds horribly complicated, it was, and I would probably not have figured it out on my own as I'm not hugely experienced with workspaces. Much thanks to my local TFS guru whose experience pinned down the problems.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for coming back with this information as it will help others who hit this issue.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer or Like if helpful. Found your answer elsewhere? Share it here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries. I did trawl this forum quite a bit looking for fix ideas. 😃

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp