Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2020 Crashes Not Functional Upon Starting

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have W10, 64 Bit, RoboHelp 2020.7.46

I just upgraded an old project and that all worked OK.

When I now run RoboHelp 2020, the software runs and I can click on items, but nothing happens. For example, I click on File New Project and nothing happens. Same is true if I try to open a current project either from the Start Screen or Recent Projects.

I have reinstalled a few times. I have not uninstalled and reinstalled yet but this has been happening multiple times and I do not want to have to uninstall / reinstall each times it happens.

I did notice RoboHelp 2020 is running 8 times.

Robo.jpg

I have tried running as an Admin, but no change.

I have renamed these to OLD but not change.

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe RoboHelp 2020_OLD

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\RoboHelp\\2020_OLD

Any suggestions?

Shawn

ā€ƒ

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

It does not have to connect everytime, it just phones home every so often. Regardless of whether you have a connection those options should be there. You really need to take this up with Support. See the link earlier.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot you show is normal. I suggest you do uninstall and then reinstall to clear the problem.

I think that will work but if not then I suggest you contact Support. See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp. 

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

Thank you.

I'll try the uninstall/reinsttall.

Are there settings I can keep or do I have to reset everythign again on reinstall?

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get the option to save or discard your settings. Try with Save first.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

The uninstall / reinstall work. So far so good with my settings restored. Thank you.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

Ran into the same issue. Went to work on my RH file and nothing works.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Where is your project located? Is it on your local drive and directly off the root? I doubt it but I am wondering if a path length exceeding the windows maximum is involved.
  2. Does this happen with the sample projects that you will find in Documents > My RoboHelp Projects?
  3. Are you working directly on the machine rather than remotely?
  4. You do have admin rights on the machine?
  5. You are shown as logged in on the Help menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

Thank you. Below are answers to your questions. I have my computer setup using two monitors, etc. via a USB Hub. I disconected my computer yesterday and all worked OK. I reconnected this moring and again it started to fail. I doubt the hub should have any impact on running Robo Help

1. Where is your project located? Is it on your local drive and directly off the root? I doubt it but I am wondering if a path length exceeding the windows maximum is involved. ANSWER - Local hard drive. This is the path to the RHPJ file - C:\SRMDATA\Software Development\1 - PHAWorks\PHAWorks RA Edition\Help Active Development\PHAWorks RA Edition Help_rh2020
  2. Does this happen with the sample projects that you will find in Documents > My RoboHelp Projects? ANSWER - When RH was working, I was able to create new projects and I think I opened the sample project as part of learning RH. If RH is runing, I have not issues opening any project once running. As I type this reply I ran RH, tried the click on File / Open and again nothing happened
  3. Are you working directly on the machine rather than remotely? ANSWER - directly

4. You do have admin rights on the machine? ANSWER - Full Admin

5. You are shown as logged in on the Help menu? ANSWER - When I click on Help, this is what I see. Clicking on any of these options do not do anything. Even Restart doe snot do anything.

srmsrm_0-1647437403924.png

ANSWER - I'm going to turn off my computer and keep my configuration as is and see if it runs. I'll answer in another reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

I turned off my computer, same configuration - RH still fails.

I completely disconnected my computer, RH still fails. It is not related to my setup but wanted to try it.

It is probably not random, but something is happening to make RH fail. I'll probably need to uninstall / reinstall again to cntinue working.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what you should be seeing.

image.png

That explains the issues as Manage My Account and Sign Out are not there. When you start RoboHelp there should be a dialog to sign in the first time that should repeat until you sign in and without that there will be issues.

Try an uninstall without saving your preferences and reinstall again. If you still don't get a sign-in, then you will have to go to Support See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.hotml#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated tro Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp. 

I would also recommend you keep your projects much closer to the root of the drive as the length of your path can also cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

Thank you. For some reason, it is now working. If it fails again, I'll uninstall /reinstall without saving the settings and see if it helps. I'll then contact Adobe Support if it continues afterwards.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just remembered that for a while I had a problem where the first time I opened RH2020 for for the day I couldn't click on the menus to open projects. I would close RH and reopen and everything would work fine.

It's not doing that now though, so I can't offer a suggestion for a permanent fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr

Thank you. Good to know I am not the only one who encountered this issue.

I just tried to run RH, and again it is not working. It is very random. As I was typing this reply, after exiting and reopening RH a few times, it now works. The Exit command under the File menu is one command that still works (instead of using Task Manager to close RH) as of now when I run into the issue. I doubt closing and opening fixes the issue, but at least (for now) it may allow me to get the software working if I keep encountering the issue.

As Peter noted, the Manage My Account and Sign Out are not there. I don't know how Adobe key system works, but at times its as if RH is not connecting to whatever authorizes the software to run.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install RH as part of the Tech Comm Suite? Or are you part of some volume licensing agreement? That might explain the difference in your Help menu appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not have to connect everytime, it just phones home every so often. Regardless of whether you have a connection those options should be there. You really need to take this up with Support. See the link earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

I plan to contact support.

For the install type, just one licene on my computer. It is not Tech Comm Suite or part of some volume licensing agreement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp