• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2020 does not link/import FrameMaker 2020 files

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 10 and the latest updates to RoboHelp 2020 and FrameMaker 2020. Linking and importing FrameMaker documents within RoboHelp used to worked with the 2017 versions of the software. It does not work using the 2020 versions. I create a new project in RoboHelp 2020, create a new folder, link or import FrameMaker 2020 documents or book, then try to Create/Update the files, but no topics are created. Are there steps needed to get this to work? This is basic functionality that should work out-of-the-box. Need to deliver work, so I do not have months to wait for a fix. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see Surbhi's answer over on the other thread?

"In contents panel, you can right-click and select Link> Link File. Now select the .fm, .book which you want to link to RH project. Once the file is linked, you can right-click on it and select Create/Update Topics. This will generate html topics in RH. Same is the case with import workflow.

Whenever a linked file will be changed in FM, it will trun out of sync. You can sync it both ways: from source to RH project or vice versa. I am using RH 2020 Update 2 and FM 2020 (build number:16.0.1.817). Please check your RH and FM versions.

Kindly let me know how you are using it. If needed we can connect over a screenshare call to resolve this asap. Kindly email me at sumahesh@adobe.com

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks you, that person was responding to someone else. It does not work. That is why I posted now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, them give him a buzz or contact the support team - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your support contact options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have contacted Adobe using the information provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update the thread when you get an answer to help others of us out.😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is to create a new file in FrameMaker, type one word, save the file, create a RoboHelp project, create a folder, link new FrameMaker file, link the FrameMaker files that you actually wanted, delete the new file from the RoboHelp project. This at least got the files into RoboHelp.

Adobe did not assist.

Thanks for the responses.

Now on to the other issues presented....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In contents panel, you can right-click and select Link> Link File. Now select the .fm, .book which you want to link to RH project. Once the file is linked, you can right-click on it and select Create/Update Topics. This will generate html topics in RH. Same is the case with import workflow.

Whenever a linked file will be changed in FM, it will turn out of sync. You can sync it both ways: from source to RH project or vice versa. I am using RH 2020 Update 2 and FM 2020 (build number:16.0.1.817). Please check your RH and FM versions.

Kindly let me know how you are using it. If needed we can connect over a screenshare call to resolve this asap. Kindly email me at sumahesh@adobe.com

Thanks and Regards,
Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work. No topics are created. Using RH 2020 2020.3.32 and FM 2020 16.0.1.817. Workaround does not work for large files/books either. I have tried multiple times to provide testing files to Adobe without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surbhi is likely in a different part of Adobe to those you have contacted. Email her as she has suggested. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter. I have contacted Surbhi as suggested by you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am struggling with this issue as well. I am curious as to why they would ship this software with such an obvious bug that affects a large portion of the user base. Essentially, if you use FM + RH to maintain large books,  you are out of luck. I encountered this issue with the RH 2019 version as well, so I continued to use the Classic version that shiped alongside the new RH that year as a work around. 

I appriciate your comments on a work around.  Did you find a workaround that will aslo work with large books?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clayton1994 I suggest you contact Support on this one. See https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your support contact options.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clayton1994, I am still waiting for a fix from Adobe. Thanks for the additional information regarding the use of classic RH 2019, as it may help other people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clayton1994, Adobe did not respond to my request for an update. You may want to contact technical support as suggested by Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Theresia5E7B, what do you mean by "Adobe did not respond to my request for an update"? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked for updated information about the fix and did not receive a response from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. Can you please forward the email that you have sent to the RoboHelp support team (tcssup@adobe.com)? I would love to check why you did not get a reply yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe says that they are still working on the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please try RoboHelp 2020 release update 5 along with FrameMaker 2020 release update 2? We have resolved a lot of related issues in these updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was ready to give up, I was able to get one document to work. Another document did not work. I will try again next week and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It almost works, with coaxing. Some figures don't display, table ruling is not perfect, and the ability to update chapters instead of the book is missing.
I tested multiple files.

I started with a short document, linked the FM 2020 book in RH 2020, and created/updated the topics in RH 2020. That worked.
I linked a long FM 2020 book. Adobe has a shortened version of this book for testing. I created/updated the topics, which took 15 minutes. I generated output, which took five minutes. Ok, that worked, with a few figures/icons missing.
I linked a longer, more complex, FM 2020 book that uses PNG and PDF files for figures, referenced in using insets. I created/updated the topics, which took an hour. I generated output, which took five minutes. This is not the usual way that I generate such files, but it worked. However, it is not an option to wait an hour on each book.

I linked a similar FM 2020 book, this time using PNG files for the figures, referenced in using insets. (I can use conditional text to filter images/turn them on or off.) I created/updated the topics, which took 34 minutes. I generated output, which took three minutes. This approach worked in RH 2017. With RH 2020, many figures did not display in the output. When I manually updated each of these insets in FM 2020 to the 2020 format, some but not all figures displayed in the RH 2020 output.
Overall, there is less fiddling with RH 2020 than RH 2017. RH 2020 should work out of the box for most people on long documents. For really long, more complex setups, as shown here, extra work is required to get RH 2020 to work partially. There are, of course, other issues that need to be fixed (eg position of figures in tables, table ruling), but I was just trying to get RH to work. The ability to update a chapter in RH is not implemented as in previous versions of RH, so a refresh requires the entire book to be updated. (I did not try the FrameMaker Documents > Update All option, as I did not want to mess with source files.) The refresh, figures, and table ruling are deal-breakers for me, as I cannot spend hours trying to get a file to work. So the updates to RH2020 are improvements, but it's not yet practical for me to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any commitment from Adobe to get this working?

What worked in RH 2017 does not work in RH 2020.

I don't see the point of continuing to pay for a product that has not worked for the last eight or nine months.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was your previous post after trying with RoboHelp Update 5 and Fm 2020 Update 2 as Vivek Kumar suggested at https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/robohelp-2020-does-not-link-import-framemaker-2020-files/m-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

Yes.

FM 2020 = 16.0.2.916
RH 2020 = 2020.5.71

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp