Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search doesn't display topics from merged projects

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robohelp 2017, Responsive HTML5

This worked for me earlier, in another project, so I'm sure it's a setting I've overlooked. I have a project in English, which contains a merged project in Spanish. I've tested 10 languages in the same setup (nine different languages as merged projects), and always had my search terms returned in the correct language. If a word was in multiple languages, topics for all languages displayed.

I created a new project, and now I only get English topics when I do a search. If I copy/paste a Spanish word into Search, it comes back with "No Results Found." The only thing I can think of that I knowingly did differently was to use dynamic content filters in the output. But when I unchecked that box, Search still didn't work so I doubt that was it.

I tested this in three separate layouts, including the layout that worked before, and none of them work. So it must be a setting. Can you please help me figure out where that setting is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that the problem now exists in merges that worked before suggests to me that the problem is not a setting.

What I am wondering is whether it is related to the layouts as they were changed in Update 2. After applying Update 2, it is necessary to select that layout afresh from the Gallery in the output dialog. The first question is thus, have you applied Update 2 and did you select the layout afresh?

I am not saying that will fix the problem, simply that is where I would start. Before doing any of that, I would create backups. I always recommend creating the backup as a zip file. That prevents you opening it accidentally and working on it before you realise it was the backup. This way you always have a clean backup that can be used to create a new clean copy time after time.

Second question, which perhaps on reflection is the first thing to look at, is when you say it no longer works in older merges, do you mean the output you generated earlier no longer works or if you generate again, it no longer works. If the original works and a new generation does not, that might be supporting my theory.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Over the weekend I remembered that a few years ago I experienced search problems - not like this, but problems with search (it just would not display some random topics when you searched for them). I was able to fix things by recreating the project from scratch and starting over. What I thought might have happened was that the project got corrupt when we had a power outage and I was working in that project at the time. But creating a new project solved the search problems.

I just remembered we had some power outages within the last couple of weeks, and since I've been working on this project more or less all of the time it's pretty likely it was open during the outages, so my guess is that it's corrupt. And sure enough, I merged Portuguese with Spanish, and had no problems. So I'm just going to recreate the English version from scratch and see if that doesn't fix things. If it doesn't, I'll try what you suggest. Thanks

**Update** It was the merged project, Spanish, that was corrupt. I hope that's helpful to anyone else who encounters this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp