• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search engine does not return results in IE for Responsive HTML5 help

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 2017 to generate responsive HTML5 help. I noticed that, while the search function works for both Chrome and Firefox, it does not work when the help is opened in IE 11. I tried this from both a web server and a file server with the same results. I experimented a bit with the search settings in RoboHelp but to no avail. RoboHelp 2017 is up-to-date with patches. Has anyone else seen this issue (and found a solution)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

OK. In that case, I think the files attached to the bug report below will fix the problem for you.

Tracker

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. I appreciate your help, as always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed my search issue in IE and my browse sequence issue. Good show!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also fixed an issue where the "home" link in the breadcrumbs wasn't displaying properly in IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. I placed the two files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\ResponsiveHelpExt\widgets\common\scripts and renamed the "bad" files to "old." The latest server build contains the rebuilt help. Unfortunately, the Search function is still not working in IE. Do you have any further recommendations? If not, I guess we'll need to restore the two "bad" files, remove the "good" ones from C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\ResponsiveHelpExt\widgets\common\scripts and add the "good" ones to the output, because informal testing showed that that solution did work..

I can send you the help project if you want to look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you put the two new fixed files back into the "factory" location and regenerated the help and it DIDN'T work, but manually put them into the generated output and it DID work, then I'd be checking the generated output to ensure that the changed script is actually getting into what you're creating. If it's not, then you need to have a closer look at where it's getting those old files from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The output now contains both the "fixed" .js files and the "bad" ones (which I had renamed to "_old" at Peter's suggestion). Should I simply delete the "_old" files from the source and see if that fixes it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete them from the output & test that - if it works at that point, you know that you can remove them (or back them up some other place)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had QA remove the "old" files from the output. The result was that the help wouldn't open at all in IE. Can you suggest next steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm confused - did you ever have an example of the help working with the fixed script files or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The original solution was to replace the two .js files in the output template/scripts folder. When we tried that, it worked. Then Peter reminded me that we would  have to do that every time we built the help, so he recommended placing the two good .js files in the RH source and renaming the bad .js files. When I did that, rebuilt the help, and it got submitted with a new server build, Search didn't work in IE.

I suspect I renamed the old files wrong.  Instead of naming them to .jsOLD, as Peter recommended, I renamed them to _old.js (stupid oversight).  Should I try renaming the "old" files to .jsOLD in the source and then rebuild and resubmit the help? Maybe the fact that the old files still had the *.js" extension is what caused the problem.

If that doesn't work, I guess I should remove the "good" files from the RH source, rename the "old" .js files to their original names in the source, and then take the "good" .js files that I got from the bug report and put them in the template/scripts folder, as we did in the first place.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that makes more sense - yes, rename the old script files in the "factory" folder to something that disrupts their "scripty-ness" & regenerate again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt the bad renaming would be the cause but who knows?

To repeat, the options are to put the revised files in the output and do that every time OR replace the originals in the source folder below.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\ResponsiveHelpExt\widgets\common\scripts

Before you add them to the source, rename the extension of the original files to something like .jsOLD.

Either you have still not got it quite right or something else is at play.

Does it work locally and fail on the server? If so maybe the revised file is not getting uploaded to the server. Maybe how you upload to the server is not recognising the revised file and not uploading that? Try deleting from the server and uploading the new file again.

If it is failing on both, try with one of the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the long delay. We've been testing and have finally gotten Search to work in IE. We first tried putting the 2 new .js files in the RH factory directory, as suggested in this thread and renaming the existing files to .jsold. That didn't work. When the help got hooked up to the app, the .jsold files were in the templates/scripts directory along with the new (good) files. So we used the original solution of providing the new .js files after building the help and having the tester put those files in templates/scripts. The result was that the Search function worked in IE, as well as in Chrome and Firefox (our app now supports all three browsers). However, when we entered a search topic (the name was "ETL Recovery Report") it came up as the first entry in IE and Firefox, but Chrome didn't pick it up. Do you have any insight into why we wouldn't get identical search results regardless of the browser? Any suggestions for fixing this? Also, how do I find out when Adobe will address Search not working in IE with Responsive HTML5 help? Is there a bug for this? I went to the Tracker, but couldn't figure out how to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. You say you could figure out how to use Tracker but you also refer to using the files that are there.

It's odd that the files work in the output but not when loaded in the source. As the OLD file is getting uploaded, it suggests you have the files in the right location.

From another thread I understand that Support have a later version of loadprojdata.js that fixed issues for that poster. Try contacting them to see if that version helps you.

I don't know when this fix will be incorporated in an update.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Search function now works properly in IE with the two fixed .js files in the RoboHelp "factory" folder. I overrode the two bad .js files (instead of leaving them in the folder with a .jsOLD extension), and that seemed to do the trick. We still have the issue with Chrome not finding a particular file (and possibly other files). What's interesting is that the file we chose to search on was the only new file we created in RH 2017. We'll be investigating further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if you are seeing something cached. Can you try on a machine that hasn't been used for searching before?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue happened on a QA machine. On my machine I used the Chrome Local Extension to open the help (index.htm) file and when I searched on that particular topic, it came up just fine as the first search result. So, the problem could have something to do with the QA machine. I'll follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue now, too, where in IE11, the Search feature doesn't work. It's been 4 months. Has anyone heard when this bug will actually be fixed and released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the fixes in the Tracker item?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff. They will work but the files on my site are from Adobe and it will be

cleaner when Adobe issue them officially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't log into that page. I'll try it again with a different browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which page can't you log into? The Tracker link above?

If so, an advance release of Adobe's own fix can be found at Using RoboHelp 2017

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a browser issue. I used Chrome and got in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippets > HTML5 on my site. There's a fix there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp