• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search not displaying results in IE11 if built from RH2017

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team are having a problem that some RH2015 projects that behaved perfectly in IE11 are now causing a problem if rebuilt in RH2017. The search panel in the WebHelp no longer displays results or any evidence of performing a search. The search works when viewed in Chrome and will also work in IE11 if you press F12 and select compatibility mode 10. Building out to HTML5 format, as a test, also results in a working help in IE11. So, the issue seems to be specifically with the WebHelp format.

The problem seemed similar to a search problem affecting RH11 that was covered on this forum and required a patch to the whutils.js and whver.js files. Indeed, we quickly found that we can resolve the problem by taking the whutils.js produced by RH2015 and dropping it into the RH2017 WebHelp output folder to overwrite the generated file. The help then appears to behave perfectly on IE11 (and other browsers).

A comparison of the whutils.js files from both RoboHelp versions shows that they are not identical and that additional code has been added in 2017. The help files received minimal editing before being rebuilt as WebHelp and no 2017-specific features were added, so this may be why we are getting away with using the 2015 file. However, as I don't know what the new code is doing, I'm uncomfortable about using the RH2015 file as a fix.

Can anyone on the forum or from the Adobe team tell me if this problem is already known or if there is a patch for the file: we did search on the forum and bug report site but saw nothing obvious? The machine on which we performed the build was new and had a clean install of Technical Communications Suite 2017, and we have also confirmed it is fully up-to-date with software updates.

Am I right in assuming that, when building WebHelp, RoboHelp fetches the whutils.js file from <RHnstallFolder>\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock and that any permanent patch would need to be applied in that folder?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Charles Addison

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Thanks Peter for your help and, as a result of you demonstrating it worked on your site, we think we have resolved the problem and explained the weird behaviour we were getting.

Firstly, there is not a RoboHelp 2017 problem: the problem was caused by our IT department who unknown to us had pushed out a group wide IE11 setting that affected all intranet users.Display intranet sites in Compatibility view (in Tools) was switched on by default. This would not have been a problem if they had not also

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, that's exactly where the generate process fetches it's source files - can you do a compare of the RH2015 & RH2017 versions and show the differences? That may give gurus like Willam a lead on what's happening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm not sure how well this is going to work. I had to make a PNG file out of the content from the left and right pane of the comparison tool.

whutils file Compare.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The expanded image is also illegible.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work with Charles so here I will try to show the differences again:

Added to the 2017 version - there is no corresponding section in the 2015 version:

/* sym.js
*/

if(typeof String.prototype.trim !== 'function') {
  String.prototype.trim = function() {
    return this.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, '');
  }
}

if (!Array.prototype.indexOf) {
  Array.prototype.indexOf = function (elem, startFrom) {
    var startFrom = startFrom || 0;
    if (startFrom > this.length) return -1;

for (var i = 0; i < this.length; i++) {
      if (this == elem && startFrom <= i) {
        return i;
      } else if (this == elem && startFrom > i) {
        return -1;
      }
    }
    return -1;
  }
}

/* whutils.js
*/

This function has also been added to 2017:

function getFilePath(url) {
  var index;
  if (url == null) {
    url = decodeURI(document.location.href);
  }
  index = url.indexOf('?');
  if (index !== -1) {
    url = url.substring(0, index);
  }
  index = url.indexOf('#');
  if (index !== -1) {
    url = url.substring(0, index);
  }
  return url;
}

function getFileName(url) {
  var fileName, filePath, idx;
  filePath = getFilePath(url);
  idx = filePath.lastIndexOf('/');
  fileName = idx !== -1 ? filePath.substring(idx + 1) : filePath;
  return fileName || '';
}

function getFileExtention(url) {
  var ext, fileName, idx;
  fileName = getFileName(url);
  idx = fileName != null ? fileName.lastIndexOf('.') : void 0;
  if (idx !== -1) {
    ext = fileName.substring(idx);
  }
  return ext || '';
}

function scheme(url) {
  var index, scheme;
  index = url.indexOf(':');
  if (index !== -1) {
    scheme = url.substring(0, index + 1).toLowerCase().trim();
  }
  return scheme;
}

function isRelativeUrl(url) {
  return !scheme(url) && url.trim().indexOf('/') && url.trim().indexOf("\\");
}

This function has also been added to 2017:

function isValidHelpTopicExtension(url) {

var allowedExtsInFrame = ['.htm', '.html'];

var ext = getFileExtention(url).toLowerCase();

return allowedExtsInFrame.indexOf(ext) !== -1;

}

This function has changed - 2017 version:

function IsValidInternalTopicURL(urlName)
{
  //Only Relative Urls are allowed
if(!isRelativeUrl(urlName))
  return false;

//Encoded characters are not allowed
  if(urlName.indexOf("&#") != -1) {
    return false;
  }

//File path can't start with "//" or "\\" characters
  if(urlName.indexOf("//")  == 0 || urlName.indexOf("\\\\")  == 0) {
    return false;
  }

//Only Canonical Paths are allowed
  if(urlName.indexOf("..")  != -1 || urlName.indexOf(".")  == 0) {
    return false;
  }

//Help System allows specific extensions in topic path
  if(!isValidHelpTopicExtension(urlName)) {
    return false;
  }

//Check for Illegal characters in help topic path
  if(!IsValidTopicURL(urlName)) {
    return false;
  }

return true;
}

2015 version:

function IsValidInternalTopicURL(urlName)

{

if(urlName.indexOf(":") != -1 || urlName.indexOf("//")  != -1 || urlName.indexOf("&#")  != -1 || (!IsValidTopicURL(urlName)))

return false;

return true;

}

Hope that helps - a fix would be most appreciated

Erika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erika

I don't think I have seen anyone else report this with RoboHelp 2017.

The first two things I would do are:

1] See if you get the same problem with the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

2] Generate the output to a new folder and make sure it is on the same drive as the project.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Right Robohelp will not let me open the two sample projects - I get an error message that it cannot open the database, so I need to talk to my IT guy and see if he can fix them so I can open them.

However I did open a new project, create a couple of topics and then generated that and put it on the same test server.

I do have the same issues, ie:

• When opened locally the search works fine on all 3 browsers
  • When opened accross the network ie with a url instead of a mapped file the search does not work on IE11, it does work on FireFox and Chrome

So more ideas please

Erika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you send me the output that does not work on your test server? I will

upload it to my server and see if I get the same result?

Perhaps also send this new project so that I can generate another output?

See the Contact page on my site and send via WeTransfer or similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested your output and it is working fine with IE11 on my server. I have emailed you a link so that you can see it for yourself.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter for your help and, as a result of you demonstrating it worked on your site, we think we have resolved the problem and explained the weird behaviour we were getting.

Firstly, there is not a RoboHelp 2017 problem: the problem was caused by our IT department who unknown to us had pushed out a group wide IE11 setting that affected all intranet users.Display intranet sites in Compatibility view (in Tools) was switched on by default. This would not have been a problem if they had not also decided, for some strange reason, to set the default to IE5!!! To be honest, I'm surprised our help was the onlything that broke.

Thank you for supporting Erika while I was off ill. I'll mark this question as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad the problem is sorted and RoboHelp is off the hook.

I've known Erika many years via the forum so pleased to help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also had the same (?) or similar problem using RH 2017 to a small WebHelp system where the application calls the help in an odd way, different from our main help system.  And it is getting a script error referencing whutils.js.  The error is "SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'toUpperCase' of undefined or null reference, whutils.js".

When someone here mentioned Compatibility mode, it matches what our developer for this application says. He mentioned that he thinks our issue is related to the DOCTYPE setting or the x-ua-compatible header being set to IE=EmulateIE8.  And he says when he switches the document mode to "11" (IE 11), it corrects the issue.

So, from the great information I am seeing here, I will take the old whutils.js file from the help version from RH 2015 and put it into our WebHelp output. I'll keep you posted - fingers crossed!!

Thanks to everyone for your help here!

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp