• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search problems in RoboHelp 2017

Participant ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When searching for a word in the Responsive HTML5 output, in RoboHelp 2017, the results include several topics that do not include the word. For example, when searching for "inputted", topics are included that include "input". Does anyone know if there any way round this problem please? I have tried adding speech marks around the search term, with no success. Thanks for any advice.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

I know it doesn't seem logical but tick the box Enable Substring Search. It seems to mean restrict results to exclude part of the word.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it doesn't seem logical but tick the box Enable Substring Search. It seems to mean restrict results to exclude part of the word.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will try this and let you now how I get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. This appears to have fixed the problem. From my investigations, I found that some users have used "Zoom Search", from wrensoft, to improve the search capabilities of RoboHelp. Do you know if this solution works well with RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite a number of those people have probably done so at my suggestion. It's something I tried years ago when the search functionality was much poorer. There's a page on my site with full instructions. Zoomsearch in RoboHelp

I'm told it works in HTML5 layouts but I haven't tested that myself.

The search on my site uses Zoomsearch but of course that is not within RoboHelp. A useful trick is you can have just one button that searches all your help but you can also create a page with multiple buttons that go to different searches that can be limited to certain areas.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's very helpful. It's good to know that there's an option to improve the search capabilities if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly, there does exist one other option that totally blows the doors off search. Not sure if you want to consider it though. It's like pouring nitrous oxide into the system and supercharging it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you want to know what that option is?

Hang onto your seats. It's an often overlooked (but extremely powerful) feature known as...

A well designed Index!

A well designed Index blows search out of the water.

Every. Single. Time.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think users prefer to search, rather than use an index these days though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MDennetti,

I've seen the issue you mentioned:  Conducting full text search returns hits of pages that do not, in fact, contain that word at all.

In my case, what I found was that the search mechanism was picking up words that are contained in the DEFINITIONS of glossary words that appear on the page, and have glossary hotspot links.

Example:

I search for the word "parental."  Get seven hits/pages.  On one of them, the word "parental" does not appear.  But it appears in the drilldown definition of an inline glossary term.

For this reason, on my very big project, I eliminated all inline glossary terms (i.e. glossary hotspot links).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sooo, in the event there is a glossary hotspot, that would mean the found word actually IS, in fact, part of the "found" page. No?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp