Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search results not appearing in the side panel

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH HTML v11

Both Multiscreen HTML 5 and Responsive HTML.

Me search results appear in the main content area, rather than in the left side panel. I cannot keep the search results in the left panel and see the linked content in the main window.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

No, the answer is that you're using RH11 - without running RH2015, you won't be able to set the search results to appear in the left pane (like it used to do in WebHelp) without doing some deep programming under the hood to a custom HTML5 layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me as if the screen layouts somehow got munged.

Perhaps you can try opening one of the sample projects and see if it happens there? If so, something has likely gone wrong with RoboHelp. But if one of those produces correct output, it's likely something wrong with your layouts.

Click here if you need to know how to open one of the sample projects

Keep us posted on what you find.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a shot of the sample project, output to Multiscreen HTML 5. Same happens for the Salesbuilder2 sample project.

So your reply suggests that something is wrong with my application. What does that mean, and how can I fix it?

robohelp_sample_search.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the answer is that you're using RH11 - without running RH2015, you won't be able to set the search results to appear in the left pane (like it used to do in WebHelp) without doing some deep programming under the hood to a custom HTML5 layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, That is bad news but I am game to deep dive if there is any guidance out there.

I will check to see if my org is providing RH15, but I fear the incompatibility issues that often ensue when I update any Adobe applications ontop of insufferably wacky Windows versions and upgrades.

Adobe applications are important to my workflow and once I get them all humming together in the Windows environment I am loathe to update any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll probably want to get in touch with Willam van Weelden – he’s the master scripter of HTML5 layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In these layouts, the search results are integrated on the left side. Since the search results are on a separate page, changing this behaviour would be a redo of the skin. It is not as bad as it sounds, but there is no simple or easy trick to get that done.

As for the deep dive that Jeff suggests, I would only recommend that if you are comfortable with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Or you can hire someone (like myself).

Here are some webinars and articles to help you get started: Starting with HTML5 in RoboHelp | WvanWeelden.eu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bad link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this previous post which says that in RH10 (and I assume RH11 - at least I couldn't see anything obvious in RH11) you need to create your own layout to do this, but RH2015 allows you to choose:

RH 10, html5 (android tablet and dt): side panel search results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp