Slow search times for RoboHelp 2020 using Frameless output

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using RH 2020.6.76 and trying to use the Frameless output type. My project has a little less than 3000 topics.

After I generate the Frameless output and putting it on our webserver, the Search has a drastically decreased response time the first time I search. Sometimes it is 10 seconds, sometimes more where the screen shows no response at all. Users complain because they think search is broken since the screen does not indicate that it is doing anything.

I did some tracking and it appears that this time is largely spent downloading search_db.js, which is approximately 26 MB. The search speed does improve once the file is stored locally.

My questions are as follows:

  • How can I speed up this response time?
  • Does the recently released 7 patch fix this?
  • What is the search_db.js.gz do? It is currently excluded from our builds since Git does not allow us to check in binary files over 5 MB.

Thanks.

Tim

Views

267

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

I found an article that explains a bit about the gz format for web resources. The first few graphics illustrate it.

https://betterexplained.com/articles/how-to-optimize-your-site-with-gzip-compression/

Likes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Well, according to that great link Amebr posted, you need to have both ends (browser & webserver) set up to ask for compressed pages (browser) and respond with the compressed pages (server). Did you verify that it's set up that way?

Likes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my tests yesterday, I turned on "Inspect" in my browser (Chrome) and it showed that it was only downloading the .JS and not the .GZ. We even tried renaming the .GZ to be a .JS and that failed to work at all, which is what I expected.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have enabled the compression as suggested. The files is now compressed as it sends. Time has dropped from 30s to 6s which is more manageable.

Thanks you all for your help.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp