• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Snippets hts#p gone-crazy-tags 8-{

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello lovely people! I upgraded a large, snippet-rich project created in RH 2017 to RH 2020, all updated and patched.

My snippets now have dozens of added tags, as shown in the capture below. What are these weird entities? Will my project disintegrate if I delete them? They are incredibly annoying and deserve deletion.

Thank you for any light you can shine on this mysterious issue 🙂

Snag_386b552.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not heard of that one before - you're all patched up with Patch 8? Is it happening with snippets in the sample project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth Me neither. The background image is from Snippets but you cannot indent snippets. The top image is Topic Properties whereas if you right click a Snippet and select Properties you get a dialog with Snippet Properties.

What were the filenames of the Snippets in RoboHelp 2017? Any sort of indenting there?

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys--thanks for answering.

Here is the same topic in 2017 and in 2020--both patched with lates patches, I checked before crying fpr help 🙂Snag_3f609a0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to note--the tags simply appeared, I did nothing to indent anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They almost look like bookmark references - if you look at the code view of that snippet are you seeing anything "bookmark-ish"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I see what's going on. In Classic you could apply Categories for snippets. I'm guessing Actions for Passwords was a category and the #part was the snippet.

What the upgrade seems to have done is indent the snippets within the category.

Assuming I am right, removing the numbering would do nothing more than wreck the snippets. 🙂

Given the names applied mean nothing without the main heading, I think I would leave them alone. Alternatively you can rename them. Create a backup first in case that has unforseen circumstances.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge 

\>In Classic you could apply Categories for snippets. I'm guessing Actions for Passwords was a category and the #part was the snippet.<

No--although I did use categories at times, I did not for Actions for Passwords.

Now--here is Actions for Passwords in RH2017, preview, along with the source code. What the haeck are all those 'fragment IDs'. 
Apparerently those were transformed into my mystery tags at import--why???Snag_42b8f88.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so the issue is that in your RH2017 source you've got those id="stuff" fragmentid="morestuff" elements - the question is where did they come from. How was the content created in RH2017? Or did it come in from some other system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created in RH2017, upgraded in RH2020.
I author everything in RH. I very occeassionally import a docx of pdf for reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold up!

Looking again, there is a topic with the filename that seems to be the concatenation of Snippet cateory and Snippet file.

Is there both a topic Actions for Password and a Snippet with the same name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at this code:
body>
<p class="ParaVision" style=""><span class="Strong">Struct</span></p>
<table cellspacing="0" class="tableintopic" style="border-collapse: collapse;" width="648">
<colgroup>
<col width="199" />
<col width="70" />
<col width="354" />
</colgroup>
<tbody>
<tr style="vertical-align: top; text-align: left;">
<td bgcolor="#F7F7F7" style="border-top: solid 1px #ADADAD; border-left: solid 1px #ADADAD;
border-right: solid 2px #ADADAD; border-bottom: solid 2px #ADADAD;
padding-left: 2px; padding-top: 2px; padding-right: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px;">
<p class="tableheader" fragmentid="1" id="p48646" style="">Parameter Name</p>
</td>
<td bgcolor="#F7F7F7" style="border-top: solid 1px #ADADAD; border-right: solid 1px #ADADAD;
border-bottom: solid 2px #ADADAD; padding-left: 2px; padding-top: 2px;
padding-right: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px;">
<p class="tableheader" fragmentid="2078" id="p48648" style="">Data Type</p>
</td>
<td bgcolor="#F7F7F7" style="border-top: solid 1px #ADADAD; border-right: solid 1px #ADADAD;
border-bottom: solid 2px #ADADAD; padding-left: 2px; padding-top: 2px;
padding-right: 2px; padding-bottom: 2px;">
<p class="tableheader" fragmentid="2079" id="p48650" style="">Description</p>
<

and so on

the topic looks like this

Snag_422c847.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOWEVER---other topecs with these mystery tags are not tables....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have a topic whose filename seems to be concatenation of a Snippet category and the Snippet file name but the topic content is nothing to do with that snippet, correct?

In the Author panel, you see the table rather than just a reference to a snippet, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge The snippets and the topic themselves where the snippets live look fine. The main problem for me - apart from that I am fearful that maybe the project might explode - is having to scroll through dozens of weird tags; typing the name of the snippet in the search field brings up dozens of tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first screenshot shows Action for Passwords just above the red rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok--I opened my RH2017 original and imported/upgraded into RH2020.

I did nothing else, cross my heart.

And in Explorer--some of the .hts files were duplicated.
I am stumped. But now I have to go fix dinner because the people in my house have gotten hungry again. I will do some more exploring later--I have a deadline coming up, of course!

Snag_44a2e66.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are those shots from?

Can you share the Classic project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

I will try to look tomorrow but it might not be until the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try generating an output and checking it is OK? Then worry about the issue afterwards. At least it will stop the deadline being a worry if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this content was copied from developer documentation, that's were the fragmentid stuff might have come from. (As near as I can tell, they might be a bit like a context id for each element of a web application.) 

I haven't ever seen it in Robohelp created content, so my guess is it will be safe to delete, although if you update the content from the same source they'd be re-added with the new content. 

They are essentially bookmarks (id is the new way of doing bookmarks instead of <a name='xxx'>), so should not affect the output display. So as Peter says, for the sake of the deadline you should be able to ignore them for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know how you get on. As I said, I am happy to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge ðŸ™‚
Thanks for offering to take a look at the Classic project.
I did compile the weird snippets in RH 2020 as you suggested, and it is working OK--so not worried as to my deadline 🙂
I zipped and sent via wetransfer, along with a link to this thread--again, my thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The indented snippets seem to have been caused by some code in the original Classic project that messed with the upgrade process.

I have sent @Cara Bereck Levy full details that I can't put here because of confidential information.

The suspicion is output topics were imported back into the source and some point but nothing can prove that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I very occasionally import a docx of pdf for reference." - that might be your culprit right there @Peter Grainge 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 🙂
98% of the content in my project was created by me--written from scratch in RoboHelp.
That includes the snippets--almost all were created from scratch in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp