Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Span-tags disapear when empty between tags

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Robohelp 2017 (trial version)

In Html-mode we place a span which contains a class.

The class calls a font with the help of a css-file.

The result of 'glyphicon-search' is the image of a magnifying glass.

Screen1.pngpic 1

Result in the output:

Screen2.pngpic 2

If we click the Design-mode (pic 3) and return back to html-mode (pic 4) we lost the span.

Screen3.pngpic 3

Screen4.pngpic 4

I assume we lose it because there is nothing placed between the tags.

Is there a way to keep the span in the code?

A particular setting perhaps?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

The approach easypay_mdb is taking here, totally makes sense to me. Using an icon font is fine and best practice today in web design as well. It has many advantages (like automatically looking fine and sharp on any display and automatic scaling with the font size of the paragraph and while zooming).

RoboHelp only strips out empty elements when they are the sole element in a paragraph element. It does not happen when it's used inside a paragraph with text (like in <p>Follow us on <span class"iconf

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No setting I'm aware of. And I believe you are spot on. When RoboHelp sees these tags with nothing inside, it deems they are superfluous and strips them away.

I'm wondering if perhaps you might manage to trick RoboHelp into keeping them by inserting just a space there with &#160;?

If that fails, perhaps use a non-printing character such as a Zero Width Joiner?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried,

that worked.

I wondered if there was a better sollution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, is the goal just to have that search icon in that table cell?

Assuming the answer to that is yes, why wouldn't an image work there?

Wondering too if perhaps you have considered manipulating one of the table styles to incorporate the image or icon?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It 's to create a tips and tricks document for our programmers.

We have over a 200 icons in an eot-file, we can use in our programs.

To take of each an image is too much work to create one page.

What do you mean by 'manipulating one of the table styles'?

greetings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I right in thinking the sole purpose of adding the span tag is to generate the same image over and over wherever you insert the span tag. Thus you have to manually insert the span tag manually in every place it is required?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The approach easypay_mdb is taking here, totally makes sense to me. Using an icon font is fine and best practice today in web design as well. It has many advantages (like automatically looking fine and sharp on any display and automatic scaling with the font size of the paragraph and while zooming).

RoboHelp only strips out empty elements when they are the sole element in a paragraph element. It does not happen when it's used inside a paragraph with text (like in <p>Follow us on <span class"iconfont youtube"></span> YouTube.</p>

Therefore, simply adding a non-breaking space after the icon does the trick here.

We will look into that and check if we can make stripping out empty tags an option in RoboHelp. It has many advantages to do this currently (especially for copy & paste content from e.g. Word to RoboHelp to clean up the code).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter

Yes, this is the way our company has set a structure to implement icons (mostly set in buttons).

All is implemented in a css-file.

for example:

<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-asterisk"></span>

In the bold/underlined part we chose the name of the wanted icon.

The names are fixed.

greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to Stefan, I see I had misunderstood the basic problem. I had not come across Icon Fonts and for the benefit of anyone else following this thread, here's an explanation.

Based on that, then the suggested solution is the way to go for now.

@Stefan: I think one of the oldest requests on these forums is an option "Don't mess with my code". RoboHelp is, of course, very good at fixing errors for people but sometimes a particular user with expert knowledge may have reason for not wanting that helping hand. My argument has always been that if someone uses that, they can hardly complain if things then go belly up.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp