Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of contents and merged projects

Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

How do people manage merged projects when you need to include topics from sibling projects in the table of contents?

For example:

ProjectA :

Searching for a widget

Searching for a note

Searching for a reminder

Creating a note

Updating a note

Deleting a note

Creating a reminder

Updatng a reminder

Deleting a reminder

ProjectB: All about widgets

ProjectC: All about doohickeys

As part of the process of creating a widget a number of tasks need to be completed, so the table of contents is structured to cover the relevant tasks

ProjectA ToC

- About notes

-- Creating a note

-- Deleting a note

- About reminders

-- Creating a note

-- Deleting a note

etc

ProjectB ToC

- Configuring a widget

-- Creating a widget

-- Creating a note

-- Creating a reminder

- Updating a widget 

etc

ProjectC ToC

- Configuring a doohickey

-- Creating a doohickey

-- Creating a note

-- Creating a reminder

etc

How do you go about adding the note and reminder pages into the table of contents for ProjectB and ProjectC? Or do you advise avoiding this and if so what strategies do you use instead?

Thanks,

Amber

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I am following the requirement here. Is it:

1] Each project has different Note topics and you just want certain topics from the merged project to appear in its TOC?

2] You want certain topics from the parent or another child to appear in more than one child TOC?

The first would be easily done by tagging the project TOC so that only the required topics are left in.

The second is covered in Merged Help on my site. See the link Linking the TOC of one child to a topic in another child

Or is it something else?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I basically have it set up like the Old Method in the "linking" topic with some changes to make it work for Multiscreen HTML5, along with not needing to make any changes to the output files and RH not munging the relative path as described.

ie. I enter my Publish relative path ../../MyProject/desktop/MyFolder/MyTopic.htm and that is how it stays in RH.

However, while most of my links are working (in RH and in my published output), one topic has decided not to.

When I link to this topic, instead of getting a page with an x through it like all the other cross-project TOC pages, the icon changes to a webpage icon, and if I go into the toc properties, the Existing Topics dropdown has switched to "Remote URLs" and the Link to field is empty. (The working ones say "All folders" and have the correct relative path in the Link To field.)

I for the life of me can't figure out why this one topic would be different.

So that was why I was asking how other people manage TOC links between merged projects, or if they avoid it because bugs.

I've tried to reproduce in your merge sample (after making changes so it works for Multiscreen) but haven't been successful in getting a cross-project TOC page to switch to the "Remote URL" property. I'll keep working on it, and if I can will contact you again to see if maybe you can spot what I'm missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, renaming the folder that the problem topic lives in seems to have solved the issue (for the moment).

I did have the same folder name in both projects, in different directory structures within each project. Maybe there is some weird bug in RH that doesn't resolve the full path correctly and it confuses itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2016 Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd but glad you have resolved it.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it broke again after doing a find & replace. And I can't replicate in a test project. :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you have tried the old tricks such as trashing all the CPDs and generating everything to a new folder. If you can share the rogue project see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, I tried all of those. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get permission to share the project, whch is why I was trying to duplicate in a test project. I'll keep trying, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp