Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents with Parent and Children Projects

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

We have one parent proejct and 32 children projects. When inserting the child project into the parents TOC, I noticed yjay when we generate the output (Responsive HTML5), its like some of the child projects didnt stay in their respective folder. 

See below pic. In an effort to keep things organized, each child TOC shows in its own seprate entity (i.e. "+Barcode") when published. For some, all the contents show but not in their respective folder. Has anyone seen something like this before? 

SNB123_0-1650557418681.png

(Currently we are attempting to generate our output with Responsive HTML5 as we did in 2019 Classic. )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you see in the merged TOC should be what is in each child project's TOC, one after the other.

Thus if say Child One has a TOC with all sections nested in a parent section such as below, you will see just Child One.

Child One A (top level section)

Child One B (Sub Section)

If Child Two's TOC is structured 

Child Two A (top level section)

Child Two B (Sub Section)

Then in the merge you will see

Child One A (which would expand to show B)

Child Two A

Child Two B

Without being able to see your TOCs, it's not possible from the screenshot to understand the problem. All those sections/topics could be from one TOC or many as it depends on the child TOCs I'm not clear what you mean by +barcode.

You refer to previously using 2019 Classic but don't say if you are now on 2019 New UI or 2020.

Two things changed in the new UI versions. From 2019 New UI a topic does not get into the build unless it is in the TOC. Topics you want in the build but not showing in the TOC can be hidden. See RH2020 The Table of Contents (grainge.org). That topic also explains how there are now Online and Book TOCs but I don't think that change will be an issue here.

Hopefully the issue is what is in your TOC, or to be more accurate what is not in your TOC. If not then please come back with a clearer explanation.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge Sorry for the confusion. Let me try to explain this in greater detail.

I am currently working on upgrading our 2019 Classic project to Robohelp 2020. ( I am currently running on version 2020.7.46)

We have 32 child projects. When creating the TOC in the parent, I go into the TOC (in the parent) and insert the child project placeholder. And yes, as you stated above some do show as they are supposed to. (How they were created in the specific child project) 

When I generated the output to view the TOC, some of the child projects are displayed as they should be (In the picture above, the + Barcode is one of our child projects. If I select the + sign all items are displayed from that child project as they should be.) While others just show the topics/sections. They are not displayed in the accurate child TOC. I've confirmed that the TOC was created in the child project and I inserted the correct placeholder in the parent. 

Hope this helps clear up the confusion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I select the + sign all items are displayed from that child project as they should be.

So the TOC for that child project viewed in RoboHelp is the same as in the output, correct?

While others just show the topics/sections. They are not displayed in the accurate child TOC. 

Here that is not the case, correct. Duplicate the preset that generates to mergedProjects and generate to a temporary folder. Is there still a problem, namely you are not seeing the same thing in the project as in the output?

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you only see the problem when you publish, or also when you generate ? If it's only when you publish, it may be a server caching issue. The toc entries are stored in js files, which are cached on the server, and thus can show in the wrong place when the old, cached, version points to a different place than the new content.

I managed to get my server admin to change the max-age setting to 1 day for the folders on the server that stores the js files, and that seems to have helped in my case. You could also just choose to reduce the max-age setting for the entire server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp