• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The table is too wide and does not respond to settings

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The table is 600 px width, the second column is 500 px width. Every width is specified in the fields. And when the table is empty it is really 600 px width. But after I added some very long text in the cells, it expanded and went far beyond the page. The table does not respond to settings in the right panel.  When you view this table in a browser, a scroll bar appears. When you view this table in PDF, the table is simply truncated to the right.

Oleg_Shynkarenko_0-1629892915743.png

I tried splitting the long text by moving the long line to a new line. But this led to a violation of formatting (the font has changed and the line spacing has increased).

Oleg_Shynkarenko_1-1629893674961.png

The width of the table manually (with a special handle that appears when you hover the mouse over the edge of the table) is also not adjustable. How to reduce the width of the table to acceptable, so that it does not go beyond the page and does not spoil the formatting of the text?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

If there is a single string of characters longer than the available space of the parent element (here: table column width),  browsers and other html rendering engines cannot break the line until there is a space.

Check this to understand more details:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/word-break

In such a scenario, you will have to set the "word-break" property to "break-all" for the parent element of your long string.

Best would be to have a special style (e.g., <code>) and a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

You can add the "code" tag to your stylesheet in the stylesheet interface. Then all you need to do is select the text you want to apply it to, and click the entry in the Styles panel.

Amebr_1-1629940101199.png

But I couldn't find a way to add the word-break code, so you'd need to add that manually after switching to code view in your stylesheet.

It'll end up looking like:

code {
  word-break: break-all;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 2019 or 2020 and which update do you have. Look in the help menu and let us know the version.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oleg_Shynkarenko_0-1629901350405.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it like this: manually broke the long lines and then fixed spoiled formatting with Styles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found very simple answer! I just ned to add spaces at both sides of "+":

Not: one+two+three+...+onehundred,

but: one + two + three + ... + onehundred. 

Only long text without spaces enlarges the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a single string of characters longer than the available space of the parent element (here: table column width),  browsers and other html rendering engines cannot break the line until there is a space.

Check this to understand more details:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/word-break

In such a scenario, you will have to set the "word-break" property to "break-all" for the parent element of your long string.

Best would be to have a special style (e.g., <code>) and apply it to the string and define word-break: break-all for it in your CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the idea, but I do not understand how to realize it in the RH. I need not only add some HTML-code to the page, but also to CSS. And this is much more complicated task as CSS for RH page is very complicated itself and I can spoil it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thank you! It works! But the only minus is font. It is not my font from the other parts of the doc. And I cannot change it even when I edit it in Style. Why is it so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add the "code" tag to your stylesheet in the stylesheet interface. Then all you need to do is select the text you want to apply it to, and click the entry in the Styles panel.

Amebr_1-1629940101199.png

But I couldn't find a way to add the word-break code, so you'd need to add that manually after switching to code view in your stylesheet.

It'll end up looking like:

code {
  word-break: break-all;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thank you! It works! But the only minus is font. It is not my font from the other parts of the doc. And I cannot change it even when I edit it in Style. Why is it so?

Oleg_Shynkarenko_0-1630059843933.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find the HTML tag

<wbr>

helpful in this instance. You'd place it in your HTML table cells where it's OK to break the line. See more at HTML wbr Tag (w3schools.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding the font, by default it will be your browser's monospace font, but you should be able to change it in the stylesheet. Just choose the font you want for the code tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp