• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There isn't an easy to import RH project is there?

Participant ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry for such a dumb question, but there's no easy way to "open or export" an existing project without all the mess is there? What I mean by mess is that, we have so many folders, files that I know we don't need from the past at the "project level" directory where the .rhpj file is located.

I mean I inherited so many files and I don't want to pick and choose what to delete from that folder/level. All I want is the ability to "start clean by opening it up (which I can), and export a new fresh clean files."

Is there an easy way? Thank you all so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

No automated system would know which files you want to keep and what to discard.

You can't go based on what's in the ToC, because there are files in the skin, or added to the skin that then would be discarded.

Or files you keep with the project, but don't include in the output. For example, I keep Snagit layered images and visio drawings in my project that I don't include in the output, but need to keep with the project because they are the source for png/gif/etc images I do include in my ou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

@Amebr is right but maybe you don't need to rush the clean up task. In the new versions of RoboHelp only topics that are in the TOC make it to the output. If you create a TOC with just what you want the output will be cleaner giving you more time to clean the source. Just one catch to watch for, if a topic in the TOC has a link to a topic not in it, that linked topic will also get into the build.

It's all explained here. RH2020 The Table of Contents (grainge.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No automated system would know which files you want to keep and what to discard.

You can't go based on what's in the ToC, because there are files in the skin, or added to the skin that then would be discarded.

Or files you keep with the project, but don't include in the output. For example, I keep Snagit layered images and visio drawings in my project that I don't include in the output, but need to keep with the project because they are the source for png/gif/etc images I do include in my output.

Or if you have multiple tocs, which toc do you choose - all? one?

So however you look at it, you will need to do some cleanup.

I think there are two options:

1. Make a copy of the whole project using Windows Explorer, then start deleting unused stuff in the copy. You can use the various reports to decide what to delete and delete multiple items directly from the reports.
  2. Create a new blank project, then import the topics you know you want. That should then only pull in stuff referenced by the topics you choose to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always, I can't thank you enough, Amebr. Funny how no one knows you by your first name :). Thank you again for clearing this thought in my head that I always have that there was an easy way to do so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amebr is right but maybe you don't need to rush the clean up task. In the new versions of RoboHelp only topics that are in the TOC make it to the output. If you create a TOC with just what you want the output will be cleaner giving you more time to clean the source. Just one catch to watch for, if a topic in the TOC has a link to a topic not in it, that linked topic will also get into the build.

It's all explained here. RH2020 The Table of Contents (grainge.org)

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Peter. You're amazing. Our team appreciate you and you expertise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp