• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Navigation pane doesn't show in WebHelp ROBOHELP 9

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r I was experiencing the same problem as thread #TOC Navigation pane doesn't show in WebHelp Rh2015 , however, when I generate my WebHelp (in RH 9), "....index.html" isn't trucated on my start page file name, and appears correctly prior to publishing. Only when I publish to SharePoint 2013 does it hide the TOC pane. The "Show" link isn't visible on the start page - just the start page that doesn't have any links for the user to navigate. Can you perform your magic for this one?

-Danni

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post us a screenshot of what you're talking about? Maybe a shot of your SSL WebHelp layout screens? Use the forum's web interface to post images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go, Jeff. Thank you!@

WH2.pngWH1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happens when you open up that TM_System_Updates.htm file? We kind of need to see what you've got indicated in Content Categories page and what it appears like in your browser (BTW - RH9 will be totally incapable of displaying WebHelp correctly in new versions of browser due to changes in browser security - you need to either manually apply some hacks or move up to RH2015).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the link, this page opens up:

WH4.png

these are my settings for the Content Categories:

WH3.png

What are the hacks you speak of? Thank you. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, so it looks like you've got your index page and your default topic pointing to the same file. I'm not sure if that's having an impact or not - I've never tried that; my projects are usually "project_name_index.htm" and "Welcome" or some other default landing page. Do you have a TOC created? I see you've told the SSL recipe to use the default one, but if it's empty, I'm not sure what you'd get. Try loading one of the sample projects included with RH and generate it to see if its TOC is showing up..

[Edit] - re:hacks - see https://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Bit of a backstory on this. I'm not sure what version of RoboHelp changed the behavior, but earlier versions of the product would create WebHelp output where the start page was named identically to the project. So perhaps you created a new blank project named Foo. When you went to create WebHelp, the start page for the WebHelp would be Foo.htm.

I remember suggesting to anyone that would listen, that index.htm would be much better. Through the years I noticed a fair number of people that would do as you are suggesting. They would create a topic in their system named Foo.htm and then nominate that topic to be the Default Topic.

As you might imagine, this would cause a conflict because when WebHelp was generated, you had a Foo.htm that is supposed to be the name of the WebHelp start page, and another Foo.htm that is supposed to be the name of the default topic. And because it is impossible to have two files using the same exact file name, RoboHelp would typically rename one of them.

If memory serves, RoboHelp modified the file name of the Default Topic, because the name set in the WebHelp recipe seemed to supercede it.

So this likely explains part of what you are seeing. Personally, I'd suggest changing the WebHelp start page name to index.htm. Certainly won't hurt anything. But I'm also very skeptical that it will also resolve the issue here. My gut says they need to bite the bullet and upgrade. And really, if you are generating browser based help, it's only logical to keep up with all the latest changes.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out the problem -- for some reason a copy of all the web help SSL files existed outside of the SSL folder and that is what I copied to the FTP server. Once I copied the contents of the SSL folder, everything worked. Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp