• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toggle conditional text in a snippet for a single output?

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm using RoboHelp Classic 2019, version 14.0.7. I need some help with using conditional texts with snippets. Here's the scenario:

My RoboHelp project is published as a single output to provide screen-level help within an application. I have two topics that use a snippet in which the content is the same except for one word. I'd like to use conditional text to toggle between the two different words in the snippet based on the topic in the project. I've been able to conditionalize the words, but I don't know how to write the conditional expression to have the correct word appear in my published output.

For example, I have two topics: Creating Purple Widgets and Creating Turquoise Widgets. In the snippet, the words that are conditionalized are Purple and Turquoise:

conditionaltext_snippet.png

The word Purple is tagged with the condition 'Purple' while the word Turquoise is tagged with the condition 'Turquoise'.

I added the snippet to each of my topics and applied the corresponding conditions to the snippet (content tag) and the topic:

conditionaltext_purple.htm.png

conditionaltext_turquoise.htm.png

Then, during the topic preview, I wrote a conditional expression for each topic to display the correct word:

conditionaltext_purple.htm_preview.png

The expression Purple excludes Turquoise (NOT_Turquoise).

conditionaltext_turquoise.htm_preview.png

The expression Turquoise excludes Purple (NOT_Purple).

In my output settings, how can I write the conditional expression to exclude Turquoise from Purple topics and Purple from Turquoise topics while still showing the correct word in each topic?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately you can't do this in Robohelp. There's no such thing as snippet conditions like there is in Flare. The only option using conditions is to output two different versions, one for purple and one for turquoise. (You might look at dynamic content filtering, but the intention is for end users to filter, and you'd get both terms displayed by default.)

If you want to avoid as much duplication as possible, you might be able  to do something like the following.

1. Re-write the content to something like "Click the Plus icon and select Purple or Turquoise as appropriate."

2. Put all of the content except the first heading in a snippet.

3. Replace the content except the first heading with the snippet content.

This means you only have one place to update the procedure content, but still get relevant topics displaying for searches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was afraid of that. Thanks so much for your quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp