Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topics not showing

New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have completed my first RoboHelp project and saved it as a chm file. After I generated a chm file and viewed the output successfully, I sent it to our developer to add to our website. He can view the table of contents in the left frame, but is unable to view any of the content in the right frame.

I'm not sure if I am not saving it correctly or have the settings right.

Has anyone had this issue and can guide me to a solution?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you create an antique like a CHM?? Try some Responsive HTML5 for better, more modern, results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this is the format they asked me to send to them. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I save it as Responsive HTML5, I see a separate htm file for each of my chapters. How do I forward this to my team for them to post to our site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 2004 you can't run CHMs on a network!

See my site for full explanation.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd. We have a working version of a chm file on our site currently. Regardless, would there be a reason why he can't view it if I am saving it to a shared drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate a Responsive HTML5 output, I see a separate htm file for each of my chapters. Is there an easy way to forward this to my team for them to post to our site? Do I have to send all of the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For security reasons CHMs can't run on a network or the web. Peter's link explains it.

You would need to send them everything in the output folder (htm, jpg, css, js). You can zip up the folder to copy elsewhere.

Another option might be to use the Publish feature. It's designed to publish your output to a web server, but you can easily publish to a network drive, if there's a common location they would be happy to grab it from. They then need to copy everything from the publish folder; you can't pick and choose to copy just some files.

On a side note, you might think "I'll just generate directly to the network folder" and save a step. i wouldn't personally recommend this.

1. Generating deletes everything from the folder you're generating to. So you lose a known working copy if anything goes wrong with the generation. And if someone is copying from there at the time that will mess up what they're doing.

2. There's a lot going on during the generation process and any small network glitches might mess up the generation. The publish process is much simpler and is designed for uploading to a web server so would take in to account possible small network issues. (That last is a bit of a theory on my part, not being an Adobe employee, but I think the logic  is sound.)

(This is just my opinon on generating to the network, rather than an official Adobe recommendation.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post a link to the CHM that is working on your site? As my CHM Files Not Working on Network (grainge.org) page explains, since 2017 they will not run on 64 bit machines. Are you maybe looking from a 32 bit machine?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - I am unable to send you a link as this is a password protected site. Our users use Citrix to log into our environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Citrix is an entirely different type of server and may account for why the CHM is running. Not my area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr - Thank you for the assistance. I learned something from your thoughtful response. It's not easy being new to a software, so your kindness in this instance was very appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - Do you have any recommendations on solving my original problem since I am able to use a chm file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is the developer is trying to view it on a network drive and we've been there. Ask the developer to open it on their local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Further to Peter's suggestion about opening it on the developer's local drive, they may also need to Unblock the chm once they copy to their local PC. To do this right-click on the CHM, select Properties, and on the General tab click the Unblock button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp