• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to Upgrade RoboHelp 11 Project to RoboHelp 2017

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that was created using RoboHelp 11. It is a very big project, about 2GB in file size. It has 4+ years of textual content (more than 500+ topics), SWF files (video simulations), PDFs, and a lot of PNGs alongwith other RoboHelp file types. There are also several customisations done on the look and feel of the WebHelp. When I tried to convert the entire project, RoboHelp 2017 simply became non-responsive and closed down on its own. I have tried converting the project to 2017 several times but the outcome is always the same. 
I am trying to upgrade this project because I have inherited other projects created using 2017 and I need to maintain all of them. Hence, I can only have one software version installed on my system.
Can anybody share with me the best ways to convert or upgrade a project of this size with myriad of elements?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all patched up? Check Help > Updates to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I upgrade I do the following, which can ease the upgrade process:

1. Zip up a copy of the RH11 project as a backup.

2. Delete the .cpd file using File Explorer.

3. Open the project in RH11 and check for broken links and missing topics and other files.

4. Fix any problems you find.

5. Zip up another backup copy of the RH11 project.

6. Delete the .cpd file using File Explorer.

7. Try the upgrade in RH2017 again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot step:

3a. Create a new folder in the project manager, then delete the folder once RH finishes thinking.

There's a weird bug were sometimes some files just don't show in the Project Manager pod after you delete the .cpd file even though they're in the right spot. For some reason creating the temporary folder forces RH to "remember" the files. It doesn't happen for everyone, but creating then deleting the folder is generally quick and doesn't hurt anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff and Amebr for your responses. A quick question to Amebr. When you say create a temporary folder, do you mean an empty folder? or do I add some test topics too? Also, how long does it take for RH to "remember" the files, esp if the file is of 2 GB size. This is because, we have deleted the .cpd file. How long will it take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just create an empty folder - that sometimes triggers RH to recalc what files and folders it has on hand. You just delete it at the end of the process before you close the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I couldn't say how long it will "think" for. Usually it's pretty quick but for 2GB it might take some time - perhaps do it just before you go to lunch if you're worried about twiddling your thumbs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp