• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected effects of change to CSS (RH 2020.8.34)

Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

For accessibility purposes, I've adjusted my CSS so that there's automatically a 10 pt space after each paragraph (Screenshot-1). That way, I don't use blank paragraphs to indicate space between paragraphs. So far, so good.

But the problem is that my bullet lists now also have the 10 pt space between each item (Screenshot-2). In case it would help you, I've included two more screenshots:

• The HTML of the bullet list (Screenshot-3)
  • The properties of Disc Style in my CSS (Screenshot-4)

My question is, How do I get rid of that space between items in bullet lists?

Thank you!

SCREENSHOT-1

martinl83372021_0-1657911049137.png

SCREENSHOT-2

martinl83372021_2-1657911370234.png

SCREENSHOT-3

martinl83372021_1-1657911239345.png

SCREENSHOT-4

martinl83372021_4-1657911855566.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

It is because you have applied the P tag to the list items, that is overriding the list style margin.

You can't remove the P tag in author view as the Clear Formatting only removes inline styles. At first it looked like a trip into source view to manually remove the P tags but I came up with a cunning plan.

Go to the P tag in the Styles panel on the right. Right ciick the P tag and create a duplicate with a name such as NoBottomMargin. In that change just the bottom margin down to what it wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is because you have applied the P tag to the list items, that is overriding the list style margin.

You can't remove the P tag in author view as the Clear Formatting only removes inline styles. At first it looked like a trip into source view to manually remove the P tags but I came up with a cunning plan.

Go to the P tag in the Styles panel on the right. Right ciick the P tag and create a duplicate with a name such as NoBottomMargin. In that change just the bottom margin down to what it was earlier. Now apply that style to all the items in the list except perhaps the last one.

Now all the items will have the old margin except the last one. I think you may want it that way for visual reasons.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I have in my stylesheet for exactly this situation.

li p {
    margin-bottom: 0;
}

It says "For a p tag anywhere inside an li tag, set the bottom margin to zero".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent, excellent!  Such good solutions, from both of you, going forward.

And I didn't understand that about P tags overriding the list style margin. Nor that "Clear Formatting" only clears inline styling. Glad you explained it. 

Thanks so much, both of you.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp