Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade from RH 2015 to RH 2020 Shows False Broken Links on Report

Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have a legacy project that was upgraded from RH 2015 (created originally with RH 10) to RH 2020 (now on 2020.4.173).  I ran the Broken Links report and received a huge list, including broken links to topics, images, master pages, js, snippets, and css.  I random checked some of the listed broken topic links and found none of them to be broken.  They appeared just fine, all links worked, the snippets were fine, etc.

Does anyone know why RH is generating these false broken links?  I'd like this to work so that I can use it for finding actual REAL borken links!

Thanks,

Lori

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if we could edit our posts and correct our typos!  😉  😉  Couldn't see a way to do that.  borken=broken, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a copy of the project so that anything you try won't be the end of your world. 🙂

Try deleting all the presetsf for a start. I found in some projects that cleared a lot of broken links. 

Does that make any difference?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New forum members can't edit posts but you will be able to further down the line.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter.  I do not know what those are or where those are located.  Can you please advise?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean Output Presets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, Peter means the output presets.

And remember to do this on a copy of the project first, not your real one. That way if it doesn't help, you don't have to try to recreate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be other things causing the broken links but the presets are a good place to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  I made a backup copy of my project just in case tragedy struck.  I then made change to my regular project.  I deleted the existing presets and created a new preset for Responsive HTML 5 (my original project before upgrading to RH 2020 was WebHelp).  Then re-ran the Broken Links report.  It's showing the same information - listing things that aren't actually broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Have you checked there were no broken links before the upgrade. 
  2. The report will be correct. In the projects I have seen there was always something wrong. Can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, from spot checking, I cannot find any broken links.  I randomly checked the ones listed and they are working correctly.  I will do some more testing and can try to send you the project next week.  Thanks for your help!

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I finally got back to looking into this.  You were right, something was incorrect.  There was a duplicate contents folder in the project that caused the huge list of broken links.  I removed that and it is now working correctly!

Thank you!

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp