• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using content from linked Word documents in Snippets or Variables?

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're using Robohelp 2019 Classic and we have a lot of content that overlaps with other Word documents outside of Robohelp. This content also appears in various topics within our Robohelp project. Is it possible to link a Word document and use that content in snippets and variables so that that we can make changes to the source Word document and have it propagate throughout our Robohelp project?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such functionality, although I haven't worked with linked word documents since Winhelp. 😛

I can imagine a complicated extendscript to extract some content from the linked topics and replace existing snippet content, but whether it would work I don't know, and would require a developer to write for you. And whether it's worth it given the script would have to be re-written when you upgrade to New UI is another question... (If you have the resources to implement, I could describe my idea for you.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snippets and variables cannot be sourced from topics so I can't see how RoboHelp could work with a linked Word document to do what can't be done from topics.

I think there's also the practical issue that if someone changes the content of the linked document, how are you going to check the snippets and variables still make sense?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to link content from an external document and use it within a topic in RoboHelp? I see how you can link entire documents as topics, but what if you want to embed content within an existing topic?

For example, we might have a sentence like "The system supports Microsoft SQL Server 2012, 2016, and 2017." that appears in maybe 50 places all over our documentation. Then in the next release they drop support for SQL Server 2012 and add support for SQL Server 2019. What we would like to have is those kinds of phrases or even some longer content that can be in a single source file that gets pushed to all of the documents that include that information. Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, we might have a sentence like "The system supports Microsoft SQL Server 2012, 2016, and 2017." that appears in maybe 50 places all over our documentation. Then in the next release they drop support for SQL Server 2012 and add support for SQL Server 2019. What we would like to have is those kinds of phrases or even some longer content that can be in a single source file that gets pushed to all of the documents that include that information. Is that possible?

That's exactly what a snippet does. You create the snippet and insert it into as many topics as you like. When the content of the snippet is changed, the topics containing that snippet all update automatically.

They only bit missing is you can't source that snippet externally. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right. We use snippets and variables often. I was just wondering if there was some way to connect our content outside of RoboHelp so that our Word documents and RoboHelp could have a common source for some of these bits of information. It sounds like that's not possible though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp