• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using multiple condition tags

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just when I got everything to work with 2 condition tags (thanks for a previous post), I've added a third and thus confused the heck out of myself. I'm using RH 2020.7.46. Content is tagged for US or Canada, and Online or Print - this part works fine. Now I'm trying to exclude content for specific guides so I added another tag that indicates content that should NOT appear in that guide. I created a new condition expression to exclude the newly tagged content. But it doesn't work.

• If I exclude/and  all conditions, the guide-tagged content does not appear (correct) but the online stuff does appear (not desired).
  • If I include/and the new condition, the unwanted content appears but the online stuff does not (correct).  
  • If I include/or the new condition, everything appears (really not correct).
  • Ditto with exclude/or

I used to be so good at logic puzzles but this stuff has me baffled. Images attached (I think - let me know if I didn't do that correctly). TIA

Gretchen

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this slowly. 🙂 Build Expressions (grainge.org)

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally hit upon the combo that seems to work. Can't really say I completely understand it but if it lets me move on, I'm good with my ignorance (for now). 

Condition expression correct.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look at it this way. I hope it helps. 🙂

RH goes "I'm going to INCLUDE EVERYTHING!!!". Then you say "Actually, exclude anything tagged with X, and exclude anything tagged with Y, and exclude anything tagged with Z".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does help. In fact, I may put it on a post-it and stick it to my screen. 

Your opinion on something related? I generate many different PDFs using the same topics. I often have to go back into those topics to insert page breaks so the layout is correct for each guide. I'm thinking of tagging the page breaks for each guide so it lays out properly each time and I don't have to constantly go in and readjust depending on which guide I'm generating. I'm wondering if this is overdoing it since I only generate the guides once a year and the breaks might have to be adjusted anyway if content is added or removed. I'll search the community for how others handle page breaks, but condition tags seem like a reasonable answer (even at the risk of confusing myself!). Thoughts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you going to get tags to create page breaks?

You can insert page breaks in a topic but as you have realised, they don't adjust for new content and you get nonsense.

My own approach was to generate to Word where I could quickly view the content and easily insert a page break. Then create the PDF.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is code I'm using which also contains text: 

<div class="pagebreak">
<p class="header-blue-box" data-condition="Platform:Print;Product:M00220">Appendix A</p>
</div>

But I think I can do this if I don't have a para: 

<div class="pagebreak" data-condition="Platform:Print;Product:M00220"> </div>

But the question is still do I want to do this for 6+ guides? Could get pretty messy. 

In the past I couldn't generate Word output (error message) but I just tried it again, and now I can. I'm not the admin of my laptop so sometimes access changes are made without me knowing it (so fun). The Word output is a mess so I'd have to figure out all those settings so I'll stick with what I'm doing for now since it's working, but it's good to know I do have another option now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp