We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
Note: I waffled between putting this in this forum or the chm forum... went here because it only happens when I convert a webhelp to chm.
I emailed support and talked to them via IM. Never ever received a response via email, and the IM support person said they would call me by eod and never did. (side question, why is support so unsupportive these days?)
RoboHelp Classic 19. Patched all the way up.
I built a web help using an existing template modified to our color scheme and icons. Everything worked fine.
I then used the Webhelp to CHM Conversion tool. Everything seemed to work fine, but clicking search gives this "Unable to get property 'toUpperCase' of undefined or null reference. It tells me which line the error happens on and which character. This error is a showstopper, as no matter which option I select, the search DOES NOT WORK.
I tried the same thing with every single skin available, same error.
I tried one of the sample files, same error.
This is apparently a known issue, I see it in the forum but none have an answer. I know that the problem is in the code, probably in the referenced file. Why this issue still exists when I see other posts in previous versions of RoboHelp is astounding. (Pardon me, I'm extremely frustrated that I have to post here because support has ignored me.)
Has anyone ever successfully fixed this error on their own? Is there an adobe developer chillin' in the wings that knows what the problem is and can fix it? We release in 3 weeks and I cannot send help out with a non-functional search!
So, if you create a new project and generate CHM help directly, it works? But doesn't if you go the WebHelp to CHM route?
Correct. I did also attempt that. And that's what we will go back to if I can't get this to work, but we don't want to. And, honestly, this is an issue that ought to have been fixed long ago. CHM files are kinda ugly, this method at least gives you some skinning options, which is why we want to use it.
I wouldn't hold your breath -
CHMs = super old technology; WebHelp = old tech, but still mostly supported; HTML5 = shiny new thing getting all the attention ;>)
I would Adobe RH support a buzz & see if they have any idea of a fix - it's got to be in the conversion routine that it's going sideways.
That's the problem. As I mentioned before, support ignores my emails, and the chat support says they're going to call me and doesn't.
Also, the age doesn't matter. If they aren't going to support the tool, they should remove it from the product. This issue has apparently been present since they introduced the tool.
I had a similiar problem several years ago.
It could be interesting for you if you work with map files, too.
When we changed the process from "chm" output to "chm via webhelp" output, a similar (or identical - I can`t tell you anymore)
error message appeared. Our solution was to activate the BSSCDefault.h. We never worked with this map file, our chm projects handled with our own CadMap.h map file.