I have recently upgraded RoboHelp Classic (RH 2017) projects to RoboHelp 2019, and am outputting basic WebHelp.
I have RH version 2019.5 on Windows 10.
When I generate output, the target output folder includes all of my RH project files, including the .RHPJ file and other files and folders that have always been "internal" to the project and not part of the file package that I deliver to Development for inclusion in the web application product.
In past versions of RoboHelp (2015, 2017), this was never an issue. How can I exclude the "internal" project files from the output folder? I would like a nice clean folder that contains only the required files and directories.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Copy link to clipboard
Someone sent me a project like that and I can't work out how it is happening. When you upgrade a project, 2019 will not let you create the new project in the same folder as the earlier version project, I checked that again. Also when you generate an output, 2019 unlike previous versions will block you from generating to the source root folder or any folder within. I just retested that a couple of times. I cannot therefore work out how you are getting both source and output in the same folders.
Create a new output folder outside the project and generate again. Does that contain the source files as well?
If it does, I think the next thing I would try is a fresh upgrade from your earlier version project. Check before you upgrade that in the source folders, there are no files starting wh as that would suggest a previous generation was sent to the source.
Please try those suggestions and post back whatever the outcome. If it is still the same problem, could you share your pre-upgrade version with me? See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.
Send me a direct email as well so that we can correspond while resolving this.
See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.
Hi Peter, Thank you for the quick response.
Yes, i was blocked from creating the new project in the same folder as the earlier.
When I create a new output folder outside of the project, and generate the output to the new empty folder, the new folder contains the source files in addition to the output files. I've tried this several times to no avail.
So, I will try a fresh upgrade again of the earlier version to an empty folder. (I was/am hoping to avoid that as the only solution as I have made many changes and updates to the topic files.) I will post back to let you know. thanks again.
Maybe we can think of a way of identifying the changes when we have got
past this. If the new upgrade has the same issue and you can share, please
let me have the pre-upgrade today so that I can look tomorrow when I have
Having some system backup stuff to take care of first. Am almost there. Thanks for again for your help. 🙂
Sorry for the delay. Upgrading from scratch repaired the problem. YAY.
That is the good news. The bad news is I have to redo the work I had done,
but that's ok. In the long run, it will be best. The project is not large and I
can whip through the changes more easily the second time around as
I've had a lot of practice with the new UI. If it happens again, I will be
in touch. Thank you Peter!
I spoke too soon, I'm sorry to say. The output folder seems proper the first time I generate output. Thereafter, whenever I generate output - even to a new folder with no content at all - the output folder contains the project files. I will send you something as you so kindly offered.