• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is RoboHelp sluggish while editing text?

Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to RoboHelp 2015 from RoboHelp 10 and I am experiencing sluggishness while editing text, opening topics, and everything else. It is very frustrating to the point of being unusable. This is in the same project I was working on in RoboHelp 10. Other applications, such as Captivate, are working fine.

Here are my system specs:

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i5 660 @ 3.33GHz 

Clarkdale 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Dell Inc. 0D441T (CPU)

Graphics

DELL U2410 (1920x1200@59Hz)

DELL U2410 (1920x1200@59Hz)

1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 (Dell)   

Storage

232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-75M0A0 (SATA)  

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you click File > Rename Project and screen capture the dialog you see?

Then post it here to show us.

You can just dismiss the dialog. You don't have to actually rename anything.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting request. What does this tell us?

rename_project.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tells us (a) that your project is probably on a network drive (may be issues with latency & rights) and (b) that the path to the project is fairly long (not best practices)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, precisely.

I'd be willing to bet a dollar against a doughnut that if you move that project to your local C drive, BING! Nice and zippy!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you are wondering why this is, consider an analogy.

You are in your kitchen working on a recipe. Working in RoboHelp is exactly like this.

Perhaps you are making a cake and you need an egg. Now in normal circumstances, you open the fridge and grab an egg. The RoboHelp equivalent is that your fridge is like your local C drive.

But let's say you choose not to keep eggs in your fridge. Instead, you drive to the store when you need one. In this case the store is like a network server. It takes a longer time to stop what you are doing, drive to the store, purchase the egg, drive back home and FINALLY you can add the egg.

With your project on a network you are driving to the store for any interaction. Hence the slowness involved.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your cooking analogy cracked me up. Not to egg this on, but I understand why having the project out on the network might pose a problem. I've run into this before, but it hasn't been an issue for years now and I thought I had beaten it. I wish it were as simple as keeping everything in one basket on the C drive. Given the backup and version control scheme here, I would have to scramble these large projects around quite a bit. Not something I really want to do. I'll see what IT can hatch a different solution, like I said, something changed that created or exacerbated this problem within the past few weeks since I've been editing this project out on the network without problems until recently.

Thanks again. Egg-cellent analysis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. Come to think of it, we also changed physical locations and network hardware around the time I upgraded to 2015 which probably explains why I wasn't seeing the problem with RoboHelp 10.

Thanks, I'll have to see what I can do to get around the network and pathname issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp