• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why the difference between Topic View and Generated Output?

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently edited a project in RoboHelp 2022, and I am completely confused. When I generate the chm file and look at the results, the formatting doesn't match my topics in many, if not most cases. I have a total of 10 topics separated under two sections. The topics under the first section look fine, but most of the ones in the second are all messed up. I am including a couple of  images of what I'm talking about. I can't figure it out because it looks perfect in the RoboHelp topic view.
chm view:
chm view.png

RoboHelp Topic view of same topic area

RoboHelp Topic view.png

I would appeciate any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All comes down to the css you use for the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to apply .css globally. This is a new version of RoboHelp and I despise it with a white hot passion. I used it many, MANY years ago and they had all sorts of cool menu choices. Now they have Author, Output and Review and I am completely lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bit harsh. 🙂 Yes the product has changed beyond recognition. That's true of most software. Like most users I was completely confused by the new UI at first but give it a bit of time. I can honestly say that I now hate going back to the classic versions.

Once you familiarise yourself with the new UI, it is actually more intuitive and much quicker to find your way around. It may not be perfect but it is easier and you can do more. As @Amebr has pointed out, the RoboHelp Tour Introduction (grainge.org) explains the features.

That said, CHMs haven't changed much as Microsoft have not updated the compiler for nearly twenty years and all CHMs are dependent on that.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using a master page for your output you could make sure the stylesheet is applied to it. That should ensure it's used for every topic in the output. (I think the terminology has changed again in RH2022 but I don't have access to today to check the correct words to check - Peter's Robohelp tour probably describes the changes though, if that's the version you're using.)

Or, use the Topic List report (in the Author view). In RH2019 you need to first scroll all the way to the end to ensure all topics have been listed in the report, then use the checkbox to select everything and right-click > Properties to apply the stylesheet. I'm not sure if they fixed this bug in newer versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp