Exit

Word output fails

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH2019.

I have a project with one file.

When I generate a Word file, it timeout and tells me to look at the log files.

Abyone know how to get Word gen to work? 

Error messag is: 

Unhandled
CssParser error: line 342 col 3: invalid identity. CSS => /**/

line 342 is: border-width:1px;

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH19 won't exist for a few years yet. 🙂

In 2019 this thread has information about log files. That's for 2019 new UI. Maybe you are using Classic?

Impossible to say what's wrong from the information given. Have you checked all the settings?

Try generating one of the sample projects.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 2019.0.9 the new version.

If I create a new project with the default single help file, it generates a Word file. 

But, if I add a new file, it crashes. The error suggests 

Unhandled
CssParser error: line 342 col 3: invalid identity. CSS => /**/

However, if I remove the CSS, the error still occurs. 

Not sure what settings you're referring to. Surerly generating a simple Word file shouldnt be so hard?

Update!

I added 5 pretty simply HTML files, eg minor formatting etc. 

New error message. 

Unhandled
System.InvalidCast
Unable to cast object of type 'System.Xml.Linq.XComment' to type 'System.Xml.Linq.XText'.

View log for details

Failed to generate Word Document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it shouldn't be difficult but clearly it is for some reason that I was trying to identify. The error message seemed familiar so I searched for it and it seems you have already posted about this so is this thread different in some way I'm not identifying.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/word-output-css-error/m-p/10630569#M126483

There is also another thread I found with the same issue and one that seems to have an answer.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/unable-to-generate-word-output/m-p/10684136

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue here relates to InvalidCastException. RH is struggling to convert between different types. Not sure what the root cause of this is.

Reached out to Adobe a few weeks ago but they didn't get back.

Much as I like RH the brittleness of this release is a concern. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Initially it was the same issue until you added some files when the issue changed. As the issue in the other thread was related to the CSS, maybe now it's the same cause but with a different outcome. Please try the following to help identify where things are going wrong.

1. Create another new project and create a couple of new topics (not an import) with just a simple paragraph in each with no formattting. Use the default CSS. Does it generate or fail? Ignore further steps and post back if that fails.
  2. Next go to Properties > Topic and change the CSS to whatever file you are using. Does it generate or fail? If it fails at this point, then it would seem to be something in the CSS. We can then explore that. If it still generates, then go to Step 3.
  3. Next progressively import one at a time the topics from the failing project. Generate after each one until it fails.If you cannot see anything that is causing an issue, please share the project. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp