• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working copy of RH 2020 while preparing for full upgrade?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Does anyone have any input about strategies that helped you minimize the impact to current documentation work while upgrading to RoboHelp 2020? Since the RH 2020 skin is quite different it seems that it will take a while to customize it. If you customized the skin, approximately long did it take you? Did you encounter any unexpected obstacles?

There will also be a period of time required in my organization for approval. (The approval process won't be quick as it is a busy project season.) I was hoping our single copy of the RoboHelp license would allow me to download RoboHelp 2020  on a separate PC or laptop to set up the skin and other customization, while at at the same time continuing the daily documentation work with RH 2019 on my PC while the approval process is underway. The licensing administrator for our organization informed me that it's not possible to have multiple versions of the software on the same PC, which I figured would be the case, but I'm still wondering if there's a way to install RH 2020 on another PC when an organization such as ours has a single license. (There are two of us using the license btw.)  I would like to be able to ask Adobe about this matter myself to do some more research on my end since the licensing administrator is responsible for licensing of all kinds in the organization and isn't a tech writer, but when I tried to access Adobe online support, I received a generic message about contacting the licensing administrator for the organization. I suppose another option could be to download RH 2020 as a trial on a separate PC or laptop -- has anyone taken an approach like that? How long is a trial avaiable?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trial gives you 30 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The licensing administrator for our organization informed me that it's not possible to have multiple versions of the software on the same PC

Why not? I currently have 2017 Classic, 2019 Classic and 2019 New UI and 2020 on one machine. If you double click an XPJ or RHPJ file it will open in the latest version so I have added to the Send To menu to deal with that.

I'm still wondering if there's a way to install RH 2020 on another PC when an organization such as ours has a single license.

As @Jeff_Coatsworth has said, you can use the trial for thirty days. I have assumed you have a perpetual licence rather than a subscription. If you do have a subscription, you can download and install 2020.

(There are two of us using the license btw.) 

That is a breach of the licence as it is per user. You can run it on two machines but that is to allow the same person to use RoboHelp on two machines. Desktop and laptop, home and office etc.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Is there anything in particular that needs to be done when downloading RoboHelp 2020 so that it runs alongside the current installation? Is there something like an option to decline uninstalling the current version?

Would you be able to say more please about adding to the Send To menu? I'm not familiar with that.

I've shared what you said about making sure that each user has a license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just install 2020. It will not override earlier versions.

To add apps to your Send To menu, see this page.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp