• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any chance to get original JS core files from Adobe?

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you probably know, the core JS files for Responsive HTML5 output are minified (rh.min.js, common.min.js, layout.min.js, topic.min.js etc.). Do you think there's any chance that Adobe will distribute the original versions of these files? This would greatly increase the options for experienced users and web developers to customize and optimize the HTML5 output for the individual customer's needs.

I know opening up source code is a difficult issue, but as the JS files are still highly dependent on the (closed source) RoboHelp application, I think the opportunities by far outweigh the risks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have brought this post to Adobe's attention.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe may be reluctant to post the source code since they maintain it and may update it in any given patch. It's not so much an issue with the code being used by competitors (I think) as that if people make manual modifications, they will be lost whenever you install a patch.

What are you trying to achieve? You can add your own JavaScript extensions quite easily and also use the Angularesque structure of the HTML and the JavaScript to manipulate the layout. If you can tell a bit about what you want to do, I may be able to point you in the right direction. You can hook into the system rather easily but the documentation is somewhat lacking at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think people who are experienced enough to modify the JS core files will be able to deal with breaking changes through updates. They will know that it's part of the deal. If they prefer consistency, they can stick to the original files and avoid the core files. But right now, we don't even have a choice. Choice is always better 🙂

I know there's already a lot you can do with own JS extensions and stuff like that. Actually, I already managed to modiy the HTML5 output quite heavily. For example, I replaced the dynamic content filter list by a select box based on the select2 project (Select2 - The jQuery replacement for select boxes). It's looking great and it works, however, it feels more like a hack right now. I wasn't able to fetch the events are raised when the filter list is built completely or when the user clicks on a filter entry - all that is minified in the core files. Instead, I had to install a mutation observer that goes like: "Oh, apparently the right thing happened within the DOM, let's go". Providing the JS core files would allow me to code this in a much more professional and reliable way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are in process of making these files available.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Abhishek

Product Manager

Adobe Technical Communication Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide the latest JS files for RH 2017? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have drawn Adobe's attention to this request. If no response, you will

need to go to Tech Support.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp