Highlighted

API to retrieve data from software for Map IDs in RoboHelp?

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be posing the question wrong, but I am writing for a software development company.

REQUIREMENT:

When users are on a particular screen, they press F1 and the appropriate help topic displays. The files are created RoboHelp 2017, output as a CHUM file, which is included in the software files.

ISSUE:

However, I have a need to know the IDs of the screen, boxes, windows, pages, etc. so that I can add new help files for new screens or remove help files for screens that no longer exist or have a name change.

• In my previous experience, I've been doing this manually where I send a .h file with the map files or I receive the screen names from the developers.
  • I am now finding that the last person in this position used a type of API to query the software and return the necessary information and perform the mapping - and did not need to get the information from the developers for manual entry.

QUESTION: Does anyone know know of such an API - preferably an industry standard solution that is safe and solid - like Microsoft and not a Billy Bud in the Basement beta/opensource type product. And can you provide a basic explanation of how it works to mine for screen name data in software.

Many thanks!

TOPICS
WebHelp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

API to retrieve data from software for Map IDs in RoboHelp?

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be posing the question wrong, but I am writing for a software development company.

REQUIREMENT:

When users are on a particular screen, they press F1 and the appropriate help topic displays. The files are created RoboHelp 2017, output as a CHUM file, which is included in the software files.

ISSUE:

However, I have a need to know the IDs of the screen, boxes, windows, pages, etc. so that I can add new help files for new screens or remove help files for screens that no longer exist or have a name change.

• In my previous experience, I've been doing this manually where I send a .h file with the map files or I receive the screen names from the developers.
  • I am now finding that the last person in this position used a type of API to query the software and return the necessary information and perform the mapping - and did not need to get the information from the developers for manual entry.

QUESTION: Does anyone know know of such an API - preferably an industry standard solution that is safe and solid - like Microsoft and not a Billy Bud in the Basement beta/opensource type product. And can you provide a basic explanation of how it works to mine for screen name data in software.

Many thanks!

TOPICS
WebHelp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 24, 2018 0

Have something to add?