Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Assign a user-script to a button

May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I assign a button to a .jsx for quicker access? Currently I have to use 6 mouseclicks and 3 keyboard strokes!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Well... your description was not helpful at all.. but:

The user script has to be copied to the write protected folder "%programfiles%/abobe/.." where all the other scripts can also be found.

Honestly: this is not user friendly, but it works somehow at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

First off, I need to ask if you are using the Adobe RoboHelp application to author help files? If not, you are in the wrong forum.

If you are using Adobe RoboHelp, can you perhaps fill in some detail about exactly what you are doing?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the right forum.

Sorry for the confusion, but I do not know any other way to write a "user script" than Javascript. So I wrote a .jsx for RH and I want to assign it to a button now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, cool.

Will the button be in the body of a topic? In the toolbar of WebHelp? Where will it be?

And what about the script? Is it just a block of code that is self contained? Or did you put it in a .JS file that you now want to include in the project?

And about the file itself. I'm not sure I know what a .JSX file is. Special form of JavaScript?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am talking about using Menu | Tools | Scripts | Browse...

Some scripts are already pre-assigned from RH but how can user-script be assigned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, okay

The scripts you see when doing that are scripts you execute to influence changes in the RoboHelp editing environment. They aren't scripts that an end user of your help system would have access to. I just wanted to ensure we are on the same page for that.

Assuming you were already aware of this, I'm guessing you are trying to add a button somewhere in the RoboHelp editing environment to launch a script?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, you can't influence the UI with script or link a button to a script.

What may help is to open the Script Explorer Pod. That will eliminate a few clicks.

You may also want to look into RoboHelp Scripting Events. These events fire after certain actions. You can have your scripts run automatically when an event occurs. The following link may be interesting: Using the new RoboHelp 10 scripting events | Adobe Developer Connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...

You actually *CAN* link a toolbar button to a script.

Right-click the toolbars and choose Customize... Then from the Customize dialog, click the Commands tab and find the Scripts item on the left side. Click the script you want and drag it from the dialog to the Toolbar.

tmp2.png

If you want to see an image in the toolbar instead of the script name, right-click the new area in the toolbar and choose an image.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... your description was not helpful at all.. but:

The user script has to be copied to the write protected folder "%programfiles%/abobe/.." where all the other scripts can also be found.

Honestly: this is not user friendly, but it works somehow at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sooo, were you then able to assign the script to a button like you want? What part wasn't helpful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I was able, but your text did not help me, as the solution was to copy the script to a certain directory - which is nowhere documented.

Nevertheless I appreciate your detailed documentation which might be helpful for others.

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I'm pleased you managed to get it sorted.

However, I have to say I disagree with your statement: "as the solution was to copy the script to a certain directory - which is nowhere documented."

In RoboHelp 11, I clicked the Help menu and opened the help system. (Help > Contents&Index).

tmp1.png

From there I clicked the Search icon and typed "Script".

tmp2.png

The second result listed was "About ExtendScript Toolkit support".

tmp3.png

After clicking that link and reading through the topic, I noted this:

tmp4.png

So it does actually appear to be documented.

Perhaps it might be more easily found. But I'm not sure how.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! Missed that one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp